String algae

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have an 400-600 gal above ground AZ pond. 5 koi (5-12”). Multiple Pond plants.
we’ve done:
Straw bales, activated charcoal, pond bombs, lava rock & filters in our waterfall,
plants, shade cloth. Algae still grows like carayzee! Now it’s clumping and floating to the surface. I muck it out 4-5x’s a day and can’t keep up. I’m afraid my fish will die. Thinking we have to resort to algaecide. What is the safest for the fish & plants? Do I have to take them out while I treat the water? Plants too? Any help please

Attachments

• 7B74C239-C124-4E98-8B7D-D42F790BEEFF.jpeg
    7B74C239-C124-4E98-8B7D-D42F790BEEFF.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 116
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Rather than treat the symptom why not treat the problem? You have way to many Koi for that size pond. Really, it is barely large enough for one Koi. Some string algae is desirable in my opinion. Here is what I would do: Rehome four of your five Koi only keeping the smallest one, get a new toilet brush and twirl it around to pull out some of the hair algae and work on finding some shade for the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome! I used to have a AZ pond. I fought string algae a lot. My main weapon was a bog full of plants, once the plants took over the algae died off. The nutrients were used up by the plants. I had a large pond with goldfish.

I agree you have too many koi in your pond, once reason you are fighting the algae.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just applied some HTH Algae Guard 30 6 hours ago & have no floater's.
Application was 1 ounce + or - in approx 2300 gallons.
This was followed with adding a fresh 700 gallons earlier removed vacuuming this Jerry Stringer show

Ask a Question