Stubborn algae

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all, I’m new to this forum, this is in my goldfish pond, it is 3800 gals, my filtration and pump are rated for 3500 per hr. I get this stuff every year, I vacuum once a week and buy the 4 th day it’s back with a vengeance. This year I’m trying microbelift pl hoping that mick make a difference but so far not. The warmer the weather the nastier it gets of course. Has anyone had this and found anything to help?
4318381C-C335-49E5-910A-64BBFF781F38.jpeg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome.....Plants and better circulation.... Aim for 6000-7000gph pump. The pump should be at the opposite end of the pond as the return, to promote circulation through out the whole pond. Microbes lift is just a bandaid, excess nutrients from your pond being out of balance are the issue. Correcting this will clear up your pond.

Lastly lots of plants, you can use a large variety, but you want ones that are nutrient consumers that grow quickly, starving out the algae in the pond. water cress, water forget me not, water celery, are ones that grow quickly and can be just planted bare root in between rocks in the pond. Irises are another good nutrient consumer.

Do you have an entire shot of your pond to post? How many fish are in the pond and what kind?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome.....Plants and better circulation.... Aim for 6000-7000gph pump. The pump should be at the opposite end of the pond as the return, to promote circulation through out the whole pond. Microbes lift is just a bandaid, excess nutrients from your pond being out of balance are the issue. Correcting this will clear up your pond.

Lastly lots of plants, you can use a large variety, but you want ones that are nutrient consumers that grow quickly, starving out the algae in the pond. water cress, water forget me not, water celery, are ones that grow quickly and can be just planted bare root in between rocks in the pond. Irises are another good nutrient consumer.

Do you have an entire shot of your pond to post? How many fish are in the pond and what kind?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1591562919275.gif
@Ione
That looks like short carpet algae that grows on our liners. It's the good stuff and is beneficial to our ponds if that's what it is. Now if you have algae growing out of control then that's another story.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I do think I need more filtration, the filter is for up to 3000 gallons, plants are alittle difficult here, I am in what’s considered high desert and growing season is short. I have some lilies and a couple of cat tails and some struggling Hyacinths. I have approximately 50 goldfish, they don’t want to hold still while I count.

Attachments

• C9A672A6-AA0E-4D36-940A-CDCE0C62FD3F.jpeg
    C9A672A6-AA0E-4D36-940A-CDCE0C62FD3F.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 82

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that is good muck that balance the pond and the fish love to eat it

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Very nice pond.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
From the picture it looks like you get a lot of sun. Any plants you can add will help. I have horsetail rush and it seems pretty indestructible, Iris also. I’ve even used day lilies in baskets. The only issue with day lilies was all the mud from the pond baskets.

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 129870@Ione
That looks like short carpet algae that grows on our liners. It's the good stuff and is beneficial to our ponds if that's what it is. Now if you have algae growing out of control then that's another story.
Thanks for the welcome, I do have the carpet algae but this stuff floats up during the day and goes back down at night, very frustrating stuff

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well I do think I need more filtration, the filter is for up to 3000 gallons, plants are alittle difficult here, I am in what’s considered high desert and growing season is short. I have some lilies and a couple of cat tails and some struggling Hyacinths. I have approximately 50 goldfish, they don’t want to hold still while I count.
All the plants that jhn suggested will probably do just fine even in the high desert the water cress will establish its self within a week or two by the end of the 3 or 4 you'll be ripping it out by the arm full. best part about it is that it grows so fast it does little to seriously root its self . its very easy to rip out

Ask a Question