Stumped by a pump..

Reaction score
I bought one of these pumps. I am trying to install this in my pond and am confused. I see only one inlet/outlet, when I connect the pipe (and clamp it tightly) going to the waterfall to this, the pump does not push any water. But if the connection is loose (not clamped) it pushes water.

Where is the inlet? how is this supposed to work?

thanks,
xman

Attachments

• up160.jpg
    up160.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 332

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the top is the outlet the inlet has a cover over it ..same end as the outlet.. pop it off for another hose connection in/or run it the way it is there may be a flow adjustment thats closed....whats the gph rating?

Reaction score
koiguy1969,

Thanks. This is a 295 gph low voltage pump running on 12v. I did not find an inlet, nor anything to pop off. It looks like it drawing in water thru the front panel which is actually a dial to increase/decrease flow. I tested it by removing the pipe and lifting the pump out till only the dial was submerged and it pumps water.
If I tighten the clamp on the pipe the flow stops, weird. I do not know what is going on.

thanks,
xman

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Stick it in the water with no hose on it and see what it does...
You may be trying to pump the water to high

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
o.k so was the flow adjustment open all the way? how high are you trying to pump the water?...those low voltage pumps dont allow for much head heighth. even when you just put a small length of hose and clamp it,it still stops flowing? do that and give it a minute running totally submerged,then plug it in and unplug it a few times...see what happens. better yet go get a real pump... you can get a 375gph pump at harbor freight for under $20.00

Reaction score
thanks for the replies.
I took the pump and tried it without the hose, it pumped the water up to a couple of feet, then I hooked the pipe in and clamped it tight, it stopped for a couple of minutes and then started pumping water through the pipe. I do not know what the problem was before, may be some air lock or something.
Anyway it is working now. I know it is not a real pump, but it seems to be enough for my 140 gallon pond, I had this lying around and wanted to see if it would help me size the pump I need to get for my setup and was easy to hook up to the landscaping lights line. Seems to be doing a good job, I have a total head of about 3 feet, and a pipe length of 10 feet.

thanks,
xman

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you may not be giving it all the power it needs if its on a lighting transformer.. but if you say its working good...your good to go!!!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That will give you a good idea of how much it will pump..the next pump you can look for low watts & more flow

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
xman said:
I bought one of these pumps. I am trying to install this in my pond and am confused. I see only one inlet/outlet, when I connect the pipe (and clamp it tightly) going to the waterfall to this, the pump does not push any water. But if the connection is loose (not clamped) it pushes water.

Where is the inlet? how is this supposed to work?

thanks,
xman

Welcome, please put your location in your UserCP for future reference.

The top as stated is the output. The "head" which is in the specs will tell you how high it will pump.

Ask a Question