surface breathing

Reaction score
Country
United States
What would be a cause of a single fish spending all its time gasping at the surface? It's the smallest fish in the pond and all the others are fine, so I don't think oxygen could be the problem. It's been ongoing for a month.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like a sick fish,most fish I've seen that were on their way out did that. Catch it and qt it maybe yiu can see if it has any problems. Look for red swollen gills,excess slime, bloated look,bulged eyes. What species is it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's a 4" white koi and everything looks fine. I have a picture of it in another forum discussion. It has definitely gotten worse because now he doesn't even go under when I get closer. The other 4" koi he's with was doing it for awhile, but has stopped. Is it possibly genetic?

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Every fish I've seen act that way expires. I can't venture a guess what's wrong with it ,I have never been good at diagnosis of fish illness unless it's a parasite. If you think the fish has a good quality of life still then just let it live on.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Was it one of your babies yout posted about? Sorry about the loss.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have seen a large Koi do that after being stabbed in the head by a heron. He did finally return to normal. That may have been a possibility. Sorry that it didn't make it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
He looked completely healthy when I pulled him out! No punctures, gill damage, missing scales...nothing. I'm worried it's genetic.

Ask a Question