Sweet flag (acorus calamus) in dappled shade?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Has anybody here planted these guys in dappled shade? I planted today two, and one bur reed (Sparganium erectum). The latter seems to be able to thrive in full shade, or so at least it says on many pages.

The part of the pond where they are planted does get direct sun during the morning, although it's probably something like an hour of direct sun if even that. In the morning when the sun rises above the houses next to me, which is probably 6-7 am I think, it gives dappled shade, then somewhere around 8-9 am it gives an hour of direct sun.

Basically around 6 hours of dappled sun, and somewhere around 30 mins to 1 hr of direct.

I have a Chameleon plant thriving in a different spot which gets less sun, but just wondering, I can always plant more of those I suppose if I want to get more nutrients out.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sweet Flag likes shade. Not sure about that Burr one. Watch out for that pretty Chameleon plant as if it likes where it is it will try and take over and crawl out of your pond to the land and boy is it hard to stop as the roots go way down and come back again and again. As long as you can keep it just in your pond that would be good.
Or if you like it taking over everywhere then go for it :happy:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have mine in full sun and it does well. We don't have shade.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have mine in full sun and it does well. We don't have shade.
Is yours in the pond? When I put mine in the pond it did not matter if shade or sun and it grew like gangbusters but mine on land hates the sun, loves the shade.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some in the bog, some in the pond in a pot.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Some in the bog, some in the pond in a pot.
Yep they grow great anywhere that is wet! On land they do good in shade. I have some in part sun on land and they don't always look so good. I had one in my pond in a pot and it grew so big it almost busted the pot! I had waited too long to divide it and I should have had it in a bigger pot to begin w/as I had to tie a heavy rope to it and pull the darn thing out. Now afraid to put one back as I don't want to go through that again!

This was taken many years ago.

IMG_6571.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Sweet Flag likes shade. Not sure about that Burr one. Watch out for that pretty Chameleon plant as if it likes where it is it will try and take over and crawl out of your pond to the land and boy is it hard to stop as the roots go way down and come back again and again. As long as you can keep it just in your pond that would be good.
Or if you like it taking over everywhere then go for it :happy:
It is in the pond, no pots, just directly in gravel. I don't mind it, the flowers have been in bloom for over a week now. It is becoming quite bushy now though, so whether it'll become a problem I dont know.

I tried planting ferns, but it's just too hard in my opinion. Not sure if anyone plants ferns directly in the pond here though, but it seems hard to get it right, without a pot anyways because of the big rhizome. I have them all around the pond though.

Been wanting to try to plant some of the non traditional plants there, like Hostas etc, though I assume those without a pots would prove hard to plant just in gravel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I've found that whatever I put in the bog seems to thrive. whether full sun or shaded. I use the bog to root cuttings all the time.
Just cut it, shove it into the bog, and in a week or three, it will have roots, and can be planted where ever.

Ask a Question