Swimming against the current?

Reaction score
I am not a fisherman and don't know the reason why fish like to swim against the current. It is called something.....the Aquarium at Niagara Falls had a station with a button I could push to start the current in the tank and the fish all turned and swam into right away. Who? What? Where? Why? When? I tried to upload a video from my phone but it says it doesn't have the right extension on it, sorry.

Reaction score
I have lots of air going into the pond so I figured there is some reason other then air. I suppose it can get boring swimming in the same old 1000 gallons day after day! I think they do like it, maybe exercise also? I love to watch my fast growing gold fish dart as fast as he can to the other side, then the other 3 play follow the leader. Fun.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
When I'm out watering the gardens near the pond I'll spray the hose so it sprinkles over the surface of the pond. They all go nuts trying to get into direct line of the spray. It's like a cat with a laser. Oh, we have fun! :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm imaging a song called "Against The Current" by Fishbob Seger.

I feel like they just enjoy the pressure created by current.

Reaction score
I have lots of air going into the pond so I figured there is some reason other then air. I suppose it can get boring swimming in the same old 1000 gallons day after day! I think they do like it, maybe exercise also? I love to watch my fast growing gold fish dart as fast as he can to the other side, then the other 3 play follow the leader. Fun.
I thought it had to do with lack of oxygen, but I installed a 2500gph pump the breaks at the surface and they constantly make laps into the flow. I think it is the koi nature to be in a stream, but for other fish, I have no idea.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I find my small goldfish in one of the small run off currents I have and it appears that they are feeding there. This is coming from one of the bio filters, so I am sure there are some goodies in there like worms, etc. When I put the hose in there, they all like to play in the current.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you saw the trailer for the upcoming "PondStars", they are going to build/rebuild a pond for some obese koi. It looked like they were adding a strong current for the fish to swim in - koi treadmill!

We have a strong current where our negative edge drops off into the rain exchange and the koi love to hang out there. They get as close to the edge as they can without going over and then swim back out against the current.

Reaction score
If you saw the trailer for the upcoming "PondStars", they are going to build/rebuild a pond for some obese koi. It looked like they were adding a strong current for the fish to swim in - koi treadmill!

We have a strong current where our negative edge drops off into the rain exchange and the koi love to hang out there. They get as close to the edge as they can without going over and then swim back out against the current.
I missed the last 2 episodes!! TV only make it into my life when I'm sick or it's 11pm!!! Hope I can find reruns or on demand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Thanks for the heads-up, I never heard of this show!

And yes, the fish do it for fun. One of our aquariums is set up specifically as a river tank -- it has a high water flow across the top, but is fairly calm down in the plants. The fish will swim in the current and appear to be playing, then when they get tired they will drop back into the plants again. There's no reason for them to swim in the current, but they definitely enjoy it.

Ask a Question