Swimming Pond Bottom Slippery!! Help!!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@poconojoe and @judymiller This is a 3 year old thread, so not sure if the OP is still around.

@judymiller We have an “introductions” topic. It’s for new members to share their pond experiences and brag about their ponds. Please, join us over there and let us know about you. We love to see pictures of ponds, as well, and we’d love to see yours!

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is NSP? Natural swimming pond?
Are there any fish or plants in there? If not, why not treat it like a swimming pool. Chlorine and algaecide? Or is that the point, not to add chemicals? Not sure what is going on here....
It is a natural swimming pond, with a few goldfish and plants, the reason the bottom is slippery is the liner, we have no rocks on the bottom and husband does not want to put any there. I'm thinking that i will try a piece of outdoor carpet cut to fit the bottom. Has anyone tried this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I think outdoor carpet on the bottom would help big time.
No disrespect, but I just don't get this swimming in a fish pond idea. I do swim in a huge lake when I go boating, but a fish pond is much smaller. Just get a swimming pool, chlorine, algaecide. But, that's me...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ha Ha! Enjoy swimming w/ fish, enjoy doing the project, cant afford a professional pool install. I'll let you all know how the carpet worked out. Gonna try it, bought a small piece today

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lots of good suggestions here! I finally got some cheap water shoes in different sizes at an end of season sale and keep those around for swimmers. We don’t have fish, just plants. And snails, geez the snails!

We looked in to a regular swimming pool but it’s so complicated and expensive with the chemicals and upkeep. Our pond we just tend to the lilies and de-gunk the bottom in the spring. Every now and then add some dye to keep the algae bloom down.

We love ours and it’s a blessing in the Texas summer heat!
2F51136F-7FC1-4F29-AFCD-A0B37410843D.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
we have the same problem: “Slippery” liner bottom. Wondering if anyone has ever tried putting in some thin outdoor carpet? i’m thinking, it could be cut to rough fit the bottom. it might stop the slippage and could be taken out occasionally , and hosed down to keep the muck from collecting on the bottom.

i did put in a remnant of thin felt bottomed 6x8 outdoor carpet. it’s working well. does not float and i think i can take it out and hose it clean periodically. plan on getting more. also having good luck w aqua socks and sandals

Ask a Question