Swimming pool into a pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all!

We have an empty in ground pool, holds about 20,000 gallons. Basically we are pretty much tired of looking at the empty hole, but can't afford for it to be redone, so we would like to have a pond.

For about a year now, we have been watching youtube videos of people turning their pools into ponds by just going natural, introducing some fish and plants, and with no filtration. But, somehow, every time i ask a question on forum online, i get the answer that involves thousands of dollars spent for a filtration system. In the mean time, i keep watching videos of people updating their newly started ponds, and they are blossoming (literally) with plants and life.

So i decided to try one more forum and see if our dream can become a reality without going completely broke!

What we imagine is NOT a koi/goldfish pond. Living in Phoenix and not being very tolerant of the heat, we are mainly confined to home, and not exposed to nature a lot. I would love to have a natural looking pond, focusing mainly on plants, and keeping fish only to minimum, Arizona state required mosquito fish. I am definitely interested in adding some type of circulation to the water, but i think our budget would be limited to 500 dollars. However, i am not sure, what kind-does it have to be a submersible pump? If so, i was unable to find any for 20,000 gallon ponds. Would the pump for 10,000 ponds help at all? Or running two of these?

I would truly appreciate advice that would allow us to start working on our eye sore. I am at the point of my life where i could emotionally benefit from just looking at a pond, and being how colder months are coming to Phoenix, we would love to start ASAP!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
get a stock tank ,tank adapter and lava rock and make your own filter .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
tanks and bulk head adapters 004.JPG
tanks and bulk head adapters 003.JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! When you say natural, do you mean without a liner? It would be helpful if you could post some pics and the actual dimensions. Agree with @Meyer Jordan, but maybe if you could fill in a portion of the hole.....? BTW, the liner should be your biggest investment: EPDM.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Is your pool leaking? Is it a diving pool or a play pool?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all! We just decided this morning to fill the pool partially, probably make it around 4 feet deep on average (it slopes), which would also give us chance to create shelves, and give us ability to get filtration.
I found ponds filters for ponds up to 10,000 gallons, so i am thinking half filling it, could help and make such filters work for us?

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi all! We just decided this morning to fill the pool partially, probably make it around 4 feet deep on average (it slopes), which would also give us chance to create shelves, and give us ability to get filtration.
I found ponds filters for ponds up to 10,000 gallons, so i am thinking half filling it, could help and make such filters work for us?
When you said half filling the pond I thought you meant half filling with dirt and adding a liner. Do you mean only filling half way with water?

Ask a Question