Swollen fish

Reaction score
Goldfish has a swollen belly. It's still mobile and still eating, but a month ago it looked like it was carrying a golf ball, not it looks like it's carrying a baseball.

It isn't dropsy, I'm pretty sure, because he has no pine cone appearance. (I had to deal with that one, once.)

Bubble Boy 1.gif

Reaction score
Because of the time frame I'd guess it's a genetic problem that harms the fish's ability to balance fluids. So fluid just builds up in the body cavity.

Technically dropsy is only a symptom, not a disease. To me if the symptom appears quickly, like over a couple of days, the pine cone is seen because the skin hasn't had a chance to grow and instead stretches causing the scales to point out. That would point to fast acting bacteria infection.

Generally it's best imo to let the fish live if it keeps eating until it can't swim any more and then put it down. I also cut open the fish to learn what the issue was. Only way to really learn imo. If you do please post pictures as it would help others.

Reaction score
We had a young gold fish doing something similar, just not as bad. I took the view it was likely genetic and was going to have hubby put it out of its misery before it got worse, and he wanted to wait ... it ate sparactically for a bit, never stopped swimming, but literally one morning we found it, and for lack of better wording, it looked like it popped. If I had it to do over again, I would inisist the poor thing was put out of its misery sooner. Even the night before we found its body, it was swimming fine.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
I agree with Capewind
We need to love them enough not to let them suffer anymore then need be.

I know it sounds harsh but it would be the right and loving thing to do.

Ruben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've a feeling this is more than a build up of fluid and would like you if you could to feel the fishes belly for a hard lump if there is one you more than likely have a tumour growing in the fishes belly, looking at the photo it seems to be larger one side than the other am I right?
Earlier on did you see a lump sticking out of either side of the fishes flanks please?
If so sadly the prognoses is not good at all for the fish and it would bea kindness to euthanize the fish.
If there isn't a lunp then we still have a problem as waterbug says we have dropsy but its always best to gather in as much information in our way of thinking as you can make a more detailed diagnoses that way

rgrds

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Found this info on the net:

Bloating Definition If fish get bloated (swollen in the belly area), you may be dealing with constipation, gas, or retention of fluids. Causes and Treatments Constipation
Constipation may happen if the fish is fed too much or fed the wrong foods. Fasting may help here. Review the food you are feeding and make sure you're feeding the correct type of food for your fish (e.g. omnivore, herbivore, carnivore). Eliminate foods that may cause gassiness (soy may cause gas in the gastrointestinal tract). Try adding more fresh foods to the diet. Feeding a pea sometimes helps. If peas don't help, you can add a small grain of Epsom salt inside the pea. Fluids Check the gills of the fish. If they look pale, organ failure is likely. Organ failure can cause the accumulation of fluids in the viseral cavity (where the organs are). Also look for signs of onset of dropsy. Eggs or egg bound Female fish that carry eggs may also get very round. In rarer cases if the eggs are not released or expelled, the fish may get "egg bound" or egg impacted. There may not be a cure for this. With larger fish (like large goldfish) one may be able to stimulate egg laying. If a fish is truely impacted, she will need surgery. There is some anecdotal evidence that feeding fish a grain of epsom salt may help. Kidney problems or internal dysfunctions Bloating can be caused by serious internal problems. There may be an infection or a tumor, or the kidneys may not be working properly. There cases are hard to diagnose without help from a veterinarian. If the fish is lethargic and bloated, it may be worth trying antibiotics - in food if possible.

Bloated goldfish with cyst

Oranda goldfish with a cyst in her belly.

X-ray of the same fish. Read about her vet visits. Dropsy See Dropsy

Dropsy Definition Dropsy is a symptom that the fish is in kidney failure and is not able to excrete enough fluid. This generally causes swelling of the belly that is usually accompanied by raised scales that make the fish look like a pine cone. It is difficult to save a fish once this happens, because the kidney is already compromised. Most cases are fatal. Check the gills. If the gills are pale, the fish is in organ failure and should be euthanized humanely. Picture of Dropsy
Causes and Treatments Organ failure
Check the gills of the fish. If they look pale, organ failure is likely. The likelihood of saving a fish with organ failure is very small Other Causes
Diseases that can cause dropsy include bacterial, parasitic and viral infections. Toxins in the water or food can also cause kidney failure. The only thing we can do is to provide supportive care and treat as if there is a bacterial cause. If the fish is large enough, antibiotic injections would be the treatment of choice. For smaller fish who are still eating, feed an antibiotic food. If the fish is not eating and not large enough to inject, use a broad spectrum antibiotic bath. Avoid kanamycin and other aminoglycoside type antibiotics (e.g. amikacin), as they can be nephrotoxic. Many people recommend adding epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) to the water -- we do not believe this helps; however, for hardwater fish, adding 250 ppm calcium chloride may help reduce the energy needed for osmoregulation. Adding salt (sodium chloride) for salt tolerant fish, may also help support osmoregulation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We can only go through a set series of checks to see just what or what isn't aflickting this poor fish and until each one has been checked through we cannot rule anything in or out shy of you stressing the poor thing out by taking it for an X-ray.
We do however have our sense of touch which will give us an instant answer to this problem is there a tumour aflickting this poor fish or not .
If that is then the case, we can then if neccessarlily painlessly euthanise it without all the stress , if however it turns out to be Dropsey or any other problem then we can rethink our stratergey

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
hi i have several fish that look like yours dont know what it is or how to cure it if it is curable. i have koi and gold fish, its only the goldfish taht are affected. i thought it was the fish being greedy and eating all the food but now im not sure, anyone got any clues?

Ask a Question