Tame fish!

Reaction score
Earlier today, I was out by the pond and the goldfish were playing in the spitter flow. I reached into the water and they swam right past my hand about a quarter of an inch away. Just now I was sitting out there watching them play and I stuck the tip of my finger into the water and wiggled it. All three immediately swam up and started to nibble on my finger!:D I'm quite surprised (and pleased) having only had them just over a week that they have become so friendly!

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
My shubinkins took much longer to get that friendly. When I do the pruning of old lilly pads, the bigger shubunkins swim near my hand and actually bump my hand. They seem to be quite curious about what I'm doing with my hands in the water.

Reaction score
I do think goldfish warm up to humans faster than koi in general. I can only guess it's because they have been in a domestic situation longer than koi have.

When a koi gets friendly though--watch out! It's almost like having a dog, I sometimes say. LOL!

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi Koikepper,

I have never had any koi, never had the room to build a large enough pond for koi. Several of my pond friends have said the same thing about having a few large koi that would be friendly and want some attention from them. I'm sure it's all about who feeds the koi, and the individual personality of the fish.

My larger shubunkins seem to be warming up to my presents when I have my hands in the pond for whatever reasons.

Ask a Question