Tank raised Koi fry

Reaction score
Miss Sharon,
I am about equal distance the other side of Syracuse from you:) I was looking at the pictures and reading some of your journey...I don't think many people realize who much goes into just having Koi...and what it means/what's involved when something goes wrong, like your cave in. But its all worth it, isn't it, when there isn't a problem.

Reaction score
Yes, it is worth it. I love my pond. Especially now that it is clear. The people on this forum are responsible for that! My dad and my brother both have homes in Canastota. They actually live next to the lake.
What size is your pond? Do you know why your Koi passed?

Reaction score
I do not currently have a pond. Divorce is lovely:( I have been contemplating putting one in but have also been considering moving south for the full "start over" effect:) I believe the boys may have been "rubbing" Tanaka to induce a spawn and that she was just trying to get away. She jumped and smashed into the hood, causing a terrible injury to her face. Then she did it again and that was all. I cannot tell you how I cried. The pond in the album on the link I shared is my parents in NC.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the comments lynda. It was a blank canvas that turned out pretty well. I tell my wife we need to move and find another blank canvas so I can do it all over again, this time fixing everything that I screwed up and doing things that I didn't do in this pond.

Reaction score
Taherrmann4,
By far the most amazing transformation I've ever seen:) If you do move and start over I look forward to seeing that as well:)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well if you are thinking of moving south down this way is cheap .Just need to find a job here which there are few of

Reaction score
Thank you, fishin4cars. I appreciate the compassion. The pics are a blast (and sometimes a migraine) to take; I'm glad you liked them.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Oh yea, I know the feeling, tried taking many many pics through the years and It's a challenge getting good clear pics of fish at all, shooting through glass is twice the challenge. If I read correctly the big fish in the pond were at your parents. ?? Those are some big pretty fish! I know the feeling well on losing loved pets. We lost most of our pond koi last year to a heron and owl attack. Now we are dealing with our Pug, She's 12 years old, blind, deaf, and slowly going down hill. It's hard knowing the day is coming sooner than later, we just keep trying to make her as comfortable and happy as we can until the time comes. She's been our baby since my wife and I got married so she'll be missed greatly.

Reaction score
Fishin,
That broke my heart, I lost my pug a year ago....Not an easy day....She's 12?! WOW:) She must know that she's the "Queen of all things" then:) Enjoy everyday.
Yes, the pond is my Parents. Hand dug in Carolina clay...because, well, apparently New Yorkers thought that would be a good idea..LOL. It was a great bonding experience.
Her fish are fantastic.....the large blue-eyed burgandy and white is the original Tanaka, my females father. My fishes colors were muddy because she wasn't outside, when she was she looked just like him:) I've had Heron issues, as we all have. I used small stakes and twine and just "fenced" the pond. (Herons cant move their legs in a way that lets them step over.) Owls, though, never had that problem.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've been asked several times, I really don't know. I got it at Lowes and it died about a month later. I'm going to look next spring and see what if I can find it again. Going to try a different spot to plant it if I buy another one. that one spot I have planted about 6 different plants there and every one has died. It's the jinxed spot in the yard. LOL Even the weeds die there!

Ask a Question