Tank raised Koi fry

Reaction score
Baeya, Hello:) They are doing well. Just added a new album to the facebook page. Have separated the largest and mid-large sizes from the middle and small and all seem to be loving it. There are soooo many of them. Fortunately, I know a number of people who want each want some. Timing (winter) is against me though. Its getting cold already. Thank you so much for asking:)
Here's the link if you'd like to take a look http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tanaka/199238570143495.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lynda, are they all going to stay light in color like that or do they change as they grow? They are a pretty nice light color, kind of a lemony shade and some look maybe pearly. Neat that you got them from you koi that passed.

Reaction score
Thank you all:) I love, Love, LOVE taking these pictures. JW., they wont stay these pale shades as they grow they will come into their color. The thing for me is that in a pond, by the time you see the babies they have their colors already. I've never tank raised koi before, and wouldn't have if it weren't for the accident. For example, in my parents pond, we don't see the babies til they are three-four inches and have color. But are those this years or last years? The very slow but steady growth of mine really lead me to believe that maybe we don't see pond babies til the end of the season or following season ( based on zone). No way to prove that of course, and I'm learning everyday:) I do realize too that being in tanks, and everything that includes (lighting, space, filtration...etc) its possible that mine are just stunted and pale. One thing I have learned......its a full time job. Keeping the tanks clean, making sure water quality is where it needs to be, making sure they are enriched...and mine always ate cheerios out of my hand so I constantly have my hands in there so they acclimate. I'll keep at it and keep taking pictures:)

Reaction score
Miss Baeya, I forgot to mention, I have more pictures of tails or blurs or nothing at all than I do good pictures:) As I'm taking them, I think " oh, that one will be wonderful:)" then I get the card in the computer and I just have to laugh at some of the silliness. I should make an album of "almost" pictures:) In spring, when they go in the pond ((the one I finally get to build)) I am going to try some great ADDY1 technique and use an underwater camera:)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This will be fun and so rewarding for you getting to raise them from birth! Will be fun seeing them as they grow from the pix that you post and how they turn colors.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used my diving camera to snag a few pictures, hanging over the waterfall, hoping to not fall in, hoping the suckers swim by.........well they always swim by thinking I have food lol.

They have been more nervous about pond shadows since the heron has been around. They definitely know that shadow to be a predator. Anytime the heron is here they are all hanging low in the pond, four foot level. Now if I use the diving camera they tend to not come around, they head for the bottom of the pond even with my shadow. Which is fine with me, keeps them safer.

Reaction score
Watching the babies sure is fun! I have just set up a 90 gal. aquarium to move the 50 or so koi babies I have in a 20 gallon tank. I'm going to try and catch a few more out of the pond to put in the tank as well. The babies in the pond are much more colorful than the ones in the tank. I'm not that great at taking pictures. But I will try, soon. I need to change the batteries in the camera first. What setting should I use to take pictures? Auto, macro, fast speed or other?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Watching the babies sure is fun! I have just set up a 90 gal. aquarium to move the 50 or so koi babies I have in a 20 gallon tank. I'm going to try and catch a few more out of the pond to put in the tank as well. The babies in the pond are much more colorful than the ones in the tank. I'm not that great at taking pictures. But I will try, soon. I need to change the batteries in the camera first. What setting should I use to take pictures? Auto, macro, fast speed or other?

I use all, then see what works best for what you are taking a picture of. That is great about digital, just delete anything you don't like.

Reaction score
Miss Braeya, I agree with Addy1; try them all. I have been using macro but they are getting too big for that now. My babies are definitely less colorful than outdoor babies; I am applying some different lighting this weekend...hopefully it will help. Also, once some of them start going to their new homes I think the others will start to make better ( more noticeable) progress.

Reaction score
Addy1,
I am sorry to take a familiar stance, but the mental image of you hanging over your waterfall, trying to get pics of your koi with your scuba gear and knowing how koi are at pond side.....well, it was a wonderful giggle and I thank you. ( That was a polite way of saying I laughed so hard that I may, or may not, have snorted....no confirmation on that:))

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy1,
I am sorry to take a familiar stance, but the mental image of you hanging over your waterfall, trying to get pics of your koi with your scuba gear and knowing how koi are at pond side.....well, it was a wonderful giggle and I thank you. ( That was a polite way of saying I laughed so hard that I may, or may not, have snorted....no confirmation on that:))

Laughing, glad i gave you a good snort! (goldfish and shubunkins........................no koi)

Ask a Question