Tank raised Koi fry

Reaction score
Its kind of amazing what will, and will not, grow near a pond. I brought a cotton plant back from NC (I did not steal it from a field...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.) I had never seen one and fell in love with it. Planted it next to my old pond up here (NY) and it took off. I literally had to cut it down:( Saved a bunch of seeds but never got any of them to grow.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fishin,
That broke my heart, I lost my pug a year ago....Not an easy day....She's 12?! WOW:) She must know that she's the "Queen of all things" then:) Enjoy everyday.
Yes, the pond is my Parents. Hand dug in Carolina clay...because, well, apparently New Yorkers thought that would be a good idea..LOL. It was a great bonding experience.
Her fish are fantastic.....the large blue-eyed burgandy and white is the original Tanaka, my females father. My fishes colors were muddy because she wasn't outside, when she was she looked just like him:) I've had Heron issues, as we all have. I used small stakes and twine and just "fenced" the pond. (Herons cant move their legs in a way that lets them step over.) Owls, though, never had that problem.

welcome670.jpg

beautiful little fish you have there, you take great pictures and sorry for your loss.

I am fighting the heron attack, a great blue finally found our pond. Two of them flew over all summer, I think my fish finally got big enough to be seen by the birds. We used stakes and fishing line, 6 rows up to 3 feet high, the dumb bird tripped on the line ended up doing a header into the pond. So now have fenced the pond with chicken wire. Waiting for the bird to come back, will just watch to see if it can figure a way in.

Your aquariums with the fry are great looking, the fish all look healthy. Good job.

Reaction score
addy1,
Thank you very much:) I really enjoy taking the pictures. Next photo update; end of the month:) Herons....they were NOT placed on the protected list by any Koi keeper; I'll tell you that much. I do hope that the fencing works for you. Any loss is bad; but those herons seem always to get the one you've been watching:( This must be how Montana ranchers feel about wolves.

Reaction score
How does one upload photos to this site? I may wish to enter one of the babies in the photo contest....although the competition is already steep:) I'm sure that I am just overlooking something simple, but....haven't figured it out yet.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
See the box down on the lower rt that says More Reply Options? Click that then choose More Options. Then on the left you will see Attach Files w/ a box to click that says Choose Files...........click that and a box will open on your computer where you can find where you store your pictures. Go there and highlight any photo's you want to add and click open and it will upload to the post and then you can just click add reply when it is done uploading. You can preview the photo's w/ the preview button to make sure it is to your liking before you hit reply. Hope this helps.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
addy1,
Thank you very much:) I really enjoy taking the pictures. Next photo update; end of the month:) Herons....they were NOT placed on the protected list by any Koi keeper; I'll tell you that much. I do hope that the fencing works for you. Any loss is bad; but those herons seem always to get the one you've been watching:( This must be how Montana ranchers feel about wolves.

Yeah I know, I just can't kill it, so far our fencing is working, it was back again today, walking a different area of the pond. Will keep watching and see what happens.

Reaction score
Wooo HOooooo.....I got a vote in the photo contest:) I'm so excited about this:) Have you guys seen all those wonderful pictures? (PS, no, it wasn't my own vote either. I voted for someone else) :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wooo HOooooo.....I got a vote in the photo contest:) I'm so excited about this:) Have you guys seen all those wonderful pictures? (PS, no, it wasn't my own vote either. I voted for someone else) :)

There are some nice shots, was very hard to choose whom to vote for (didn't vote for self either)

Reaction score
Addy1, I really do like all of the pictures....I am curious as to how you took yours? I can see myself sitting in front of that view for...well, ever! :) I'll have to take a look at your albums later this evening:)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy1, I really do like all of the pictures....I am curious as to how you took yours? I can see myself sitting in front of that view for...well, ever! :) I'll have to take a look at your albums later this evening:)

Under water cam........... log onto my dvr and you can have a living fish cam. Every now and then I need to move plants that float in front of the lens, some algae growth lol........... We are going to leave it in for the winter, hopefully find some decent underwater lights and just see what the fish do all winter lol..........sleep!

I have it in the 4 ft deep section, looking across the pond, around 20 feet or so.

CH02_2011_09_20_17_59_52.jpg

CH02_2011_09_12_16_09_03.jpg

Reaction score
Addy1, Followed by the only question available....WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT??? That is really the coolest idea and it takes amazing pictures. I shall investigate further:) Does it take the still shots or is that in your editing? Sorry, friend, whole new batch of questions now...:)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy1, Followed by the only question available....WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT??? That is really the coolest idea and it takes amazing pictures. I shall investigate further:) Does it take the still shots or is that in your editing? Sorry, friend, whole new batch of questions now... :)

It takes snaps. You can either take them manually or have the system take snaps with any movement. If the system sees movement on camera 1 I can set it to take a snap on all the other cameras at the same time.

The underwater I let it take snaps with movement, every now and then get some really neat pictures. The hd is a terabyte, so lots of room. It will delete if it gets full. I just download the snaps scan through them to find anything worth keeping. Or you can scan thorough them on the dvr.

If the fish are really showing off I will click a snap via the mouse, but usually miss the shot the fingers are not fast enough and those fish swim fast.

It is really set up to catch bad guys, but I use it to catch nature..........

Ask a Question