Tank raised Koi fry

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by LyndaMT, Sep 16, 2011.

1. LyndaMT

LyndaMT

Addy1, I really do like all of the pictures....I am curious as to how you took yours? I can see myself sitting in front of that view for...well, ever! :) I'll have to take a look at your albums later this evening:)

LyndaMT, Sep 23, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. LyndaMT

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Under water cam........... log onto my dvr and you can have a living fish cam. Every now and then I need to move plants that float in front of the lens, some algae growth lol........... We are going to leave it in for the winter, hopefully find some decent underwater lights and just see what the fish do all winter lol..........sleep!

I have it in the 4 ft deep section, looking across the pond, around 20 feet or so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

addy1, Sep 24, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. LyndaMT

LyndaMT

Addy1, Followed by the only question available....WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT??? That is really the coolest idea and it takes amazing pictures. I shall investigate further:) Does it take the still shots or is that in your editing? Sorry, friend, whole new batch of questions now...:)

LyndaMT, Sep 24, 2011
  4. LyndaMT

It takes snaps. You can either take them manually or have the system take snaps with any movement. If the system sees movement on camera 1 I can set it to take a snap on all the other cameras at the same time.

The underwater I let it take snaps with movement, every now and then get some really neat pictures. The hd is a terabyte, so lots of room. It will delete if it gets full. I just download the snaps scan through them to find anything worth keeping. Or you can scan thorough them on the dvr.

If the fish are really showing off I will click a snap via the mouse, but usually miss the shot the fingers are not fast enough and those fish swim fast.

It is really set up to catch bad guys, but I use it to catch nature..........

addy1, Sep 25, 2011
  5. LyndaMT

LyndaMT

Addy1, I definitely love the shots:)

LyndaMT, Sep 30, 2011
  6. LyndaMT

baeya

Lynda, how are your baby koi doing?

baeya, Sep 30, 2011
  7. LyndaMT

LyndaMT

Baeya, Hello:) They are doing well. Just added a new album to the facebook page. Have separated the largest and mid-large sizes from the middle and small and all seem to be loving it. There are soooo many of them. Fortunately, I know a number of people who want each want some. Timing (winter) is against me though. Its getting cold already. Thank you so much for asking:)
    Here's the link if you'd like to take a look http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tanaka/199238570143495.

LyndaMT, Oct 2, 2011
  8. LyndaMT

baeya

You sure do take the best pictures! Nice babies! Thanks for sharing :)

baeya, Oct 2, 2011
  9. LyndaMT

Pretty babies.........

addy1, Oct 2, 2011
  10. LyndaMT

j.w I Love my Goldies

Lynda, are they all going to stay light in color like that or do they change as they grow? They are a pretty nice light color, kind of a lemony shade and some look maybe pearly. Neat that you got them from you koi that passed.

j.w, Oct 2, 2011
  11. LyndaMT

LyndaMT

Thank you all:) I love, Love, LOVE taking these pictures. JW., they wont stay these pale shades as they grow they will come into their color. The thing for me is that in a pond, by the time you see the babies they have their colors already. I've never tank raised koi before, and wouldn't have if it weren't for the accident. For example, in my parents pond, we don't see the babies til they are three-four inches and have color. But are those this years or last years? The very slow but steady growth of mine really lead me to believe that maybe we don't see pond babies til the end of the season or following season ( based on zone). No way to prove that of course, and I'm learning everyday:) I do realize too that being in tanks, and everything that includes (lighting, space, filtration...etc) its possible that mine are just stunted and pale. One thing I have learned......its a full time job. Keeping the tanks clean, making sure water quality is where it needs to be, making sure they are enriched...and mine always ate cheerios out of my hand so I constantly have my hands in there so they acclimate. I'll keep at it and keep taking pictures:)

LyndaMT, Oct 4, 2011
    j.w likes this.
  12. LyndaMT

LyndaMT

Miss Baeya, I forgot to mention, I have more pictures of tails or blurs or nothing at all than I do good pictures:) As I'm taking them, I think " oh, that one will be wonderful:)" then I get the card in the computer and I just have to laugh at some of the silliness. I should make an album of "almost" pictures:) In spring, when they go in the pond ((the one I finally get to build)) I am going to try some great ADDY1 technique and use an underwater camera:)

LyndaMT, Oct 4, 2011
    j.w likes this.
  13. LyndaMT

j.w I Love my Goldies

This will be fun and so rewarding for you getting to raise them from birth! Will be fun seeing them as they grow from the pix that you post and how they turn colors.

j.w, Oct 4, 2011
  14. LyndaMT

I have used my diving camera to snag a few pictures, hanging over the waterfall, hoping to not fall in, hoping the suckers swim by.........well they always swim by thinking I have food lol.

They have been more nervous about pond shadows since the heron has been around. They definitely know that shadow to be a predator. Anytime the heron is here they are all hanging low in the pond, four foot level. Now if I use the diving camera they tend to not come around, they head for the bottom of the pond even with my shadow. Which is fine with me, keeps them safer.

addy1, Oct 4, 2011
  15. LyndaMT

baeya

Watching the babies sure is fun! I have just set up a 90 gal. aquarium to move the 50 or so koi babies I have in a 20 gallon tank. I'm going to try and catch a few more out of the pond to put in the tank as well. The babies in the pond are much more colorful than the ones in the tank. I'm not that great at taking pictures. But I will try, soon. I need to change the batteries in the camera first. What setting should I use to take pictures? Auto, macro, fast speed or other?

baeya, Oct 4, 2011
  16. LyndaMT

I use all, then see what works best for what you are taking a picture of. That is great about digital, just delete anything you don't like.

addy1, Oct 5, 2011
  17. LyndaMT

LyndaMT

Miss Braeya, I agree with Addy1; try them all. I have been using macro but they are getting too big for that now. My babies are definitely less colorful than outdoor babies; I am applying some different lighting this weekend...hopefully it will help. Also, once some of them start going to their new homes I think the others will start to make better ( more noticeable) progress.

LyndaMT, Oct 6, 2011
  18. LyndaMT

LyndaMT

Addy1,
    I am sorry to take a familiar stance, but the mental image of you hanging over your waterfall, trying to get pics of your koi with your scuba gear and knowing how koi are at pond side.....well, it was a wonderful giggle and I thank you. ( That was a polite way of saying I laughed so hard that I may, or may not, have snorted....no confirmation on that:))

LyndaMT, Oct 6, 2011
  19. LyndaMT

Laughing, glad i gave you a good snort! (goldfish and shubunkins........................no koi)

addy1, Oct 9, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question