Temporarily moving fish from pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I'm getting prepared for warmer weather when I move my fish from the pond to some sort of holding tank. I plan on making my pond deeper to deter raccoons and lining it with colored concrete (hard to clean out the river rock bottom without an expensive vac) to match the surrounding rocks. I'm having this done by a contractor with pond experience. At this time I have four feeder goldfish that are 10 months old and three to four inches long, along with five babies they had during the summer (that survived the raccoons because a friend made a cover I put on every night). I'm hoping to retain the existing waterfall, pump, and landscaping around the pond. What equipment do I need to keep them happy during this process?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have built many an item from replicas of japanese cibodas , Logias, mri room pet scans, libraries and ponds with rubber . to build a concrete pond is something i'd lean toward a gunite company and pools. then again how big are you talking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I'm getting prepared for warmer weather when I move my fish from the pond to some sort of holding tank. I plan on making my pond deeper to deter raccoons and lining it with colored concrete (hard to clean out the river rock bottom without an expensive vac) to match the surrounding rocks. I'm having this done by a contractor with pond experience. At this time I have four feeder goldfish that are 10 months old and three to four inches long, along with five babies they had during the summer (that survived the raccoons because a friend made a cover I put on every night). I'm hoping to retain the existing waterfall, pump, and landscaping around the pond. What equipment do I need to keep them happy during this process?
The size of the holding tank will depend in part on how long the rebuild process will take. I've used a blow up kiddie pool, but given your raccoon situation, I'd suggest you go with a hard sided container and keep that smart-friend-cover over it. Pump pond water into the holding tank (and move the holding tank water back into the pond when it's done.) Aeration and water movement will be key for the fish. Easy on the feeding, and no food for the 2 days before/ after transfers between pond and holding tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've kept m y koi in a live stock tank while draining the pond. I keep creation going and cover it with a mesh net secured with wood clamps.

Depending on how long you're keeping them from the pond, I'd also use Prime and do some small partial water changes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With racoons I would probably go with something a bit more coon proof. like a kiddie pool duct taped to a kiddie pool placed upside down and on the other . A hungry coon can easily bite through a net

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I have built many an item from replicas of japanese cibodas , Logias, mri room pet scans, libraries and ponds with rubber . to build a concrete pond is something i'd lean toward a gunite company and pools. then again how big are you talking.
How big - please see the description in my profile. I plan on keeping it the same diameter, approximately six feet but about 2 1/2 feet deep with a flat rock edge (with a lip). I'm hoping to get some specifics on what equipment I might need for the temporary tank - aeration, etc.. Thank you for your response.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
The size of the holding tank will depend in part on how long the rebuild process will take. I've used a blow up kiddie pool, but given your raccoon situation, I'd suggest you go with a hard sided container and keep that smart-friend-cover over it. Pump pond water into the holding tank (and move the holding tank water back into the pond when it's done.) Aeration and water movement will be key for the fish. Easy on the feeding, and no food for the 2 days before/ after transfers between pond and holding tank.
I'm thinking of using a heavy duty stock tank about 4'x2'x2';100 gallons. Some are made from recycled LDP (low-density polyethylene), Rubbermaid foam or galvanized steel--your thoughts on what shouldn't be used? When done I would use it for a compost bin or growing vegetables. Thank you for suggesting to pump pond water in to the tank. Any suggestions on inexpensive aerators and whatever might be needed for water movement? At this time they have a waterfall that aerates the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I've kept m y koi in a live stock tank while draining the pond. I keep creation going and cover it with a mesh net secured with wood clamps.

Depending on how long you're keeping them from the pond, I'd also use Prime and do some small partial water changes.
Did you use a plastic or galvanized stock tank?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Short term you could go with either one, but the galvanized is toxic to fish not acutely, but over time can cause issues. Either one aren’t that expensive, so if it were me I would just go with the Rubbermaid stock tank, but I prefer the solid black look. I have a bunch of them and as long as they are supported correctly work fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Short term you could go with either one, but the galvanized is toxic to fish not acutely, but over time can cause issues. Either one aren’t that expensive, so if it were me I would just go with the Rubbermaid stock tank, but I prefer the solid black look. I have a bunch of them and as long as they are supported correctly work fine.
Thank you. I will go to Cal Ranch and get one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
For water and aeration, I used an aquarium air pump with 2 outlets and 2 airstones. The fish spent 10 days in the kiddie pool in the shade on a patio in moderately warm weather and were fine when put in their new pond (I moved from IL to FL, so dug a new pond in FL for them.) Good luck,

Ask a Question