The Beginnings of a Pond!

Reaction score
So i'm off work for a week and decided to add a pond to our garden, we only moved in like coming up for 8 weeks now and the garden was just straight up and down, trees and bushes either side and a greenhouse at the bottom next to where they used to keep chickens.

So since we had a pond at the old house, one that was there when we moved in, a pre shaped thing it was. We loved it, so we wanted to recreate one but decided to dig it ourselves and its gonna be a wildlife pond.

So i have done the designing, dug the start of it and some of the depth while my dad did most of the depth and then earlier today i got in the pond, sat in all the dirt and shaped the inside for all the creatures that'll eventually live in there!

I do love it already, so tomorrow we're going out to buy sand a pond liner but we're now having to work out how much pond liner to buy!

Its set up so theres a small circle with like two shallower depths for birds bathing, smaller creatures and for like tadpoles and the like and then a small channel just like 6 inches long which then slowly slopes away into the deeper circular pond! The depth of the large one is about 2.5ft, the width of the big one is 6ft and the length from the end of the big one to the end of the small one is 8ft, these are all rough guestimates and could be a little more or a little less.

Does anyone have a good way of work out pond liner needed apart from the old depth by width and depth by length or know of a calculator online thats accurate? Also anywhere in south devon that does cheap but good pond liner, or even somewhere online thats cheap but good? We're out tomorrow to get sand and we're gonna use a neighbours carpet cut offs for extra protection too where there are stones too large to take out of the side without the side falling down haha

Reaction score
I use string for liner. I just nail it into the dirt on one side, then push the string into all of the crevices straight across and stop where I want the liner to stop. Do this once for the widest vertical and once for the widest horizontal and then measure the two strings. I did this for my pond and I was dead on with the liner I chose. I had 9" on both ends, 9" on the widest part, and then a bunch of extra I had to cut off in the skinny part. It saved me $150 over the next size up.

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good way of work out pond liner needed apart from the old depth by width and depth by length
Sure. Just compute the 3D shape of the pond and then compute the surface area of the polyhedron making sure to subtract the top section. Only takes about an extra day to compute.

...or know of a calculator online thats accurate?
All of them.

Reaction score
I use string for liner. I just nail it into the dirt on one side, then push the string into all of the crevices straight across and stop where I want the liner to stop. Do this once for the widest vertical and once for the widest horizontal and then measure the two strings. I did this for my pond and I was dead on with the liner I chose. I had 9" on both ends, 9" on the widest part, and then a bunch of extra I had to cut off in the skinny part. It saved me $150 over the next size up.

Great idea, we never thought of doing that!

We had plenty of string/rope as we used that to get a shape, its only a small pond but its bigger then our last one and we didnt pay or have any say in that one seeing as we moved in with it there already! haha i am SO enjoying this tho, loved getting in the pond and shaping it!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Post some pictures of your build, we love to watch a build in progress

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember to give yourself extra liner at the top as the weight of the water pulled mine down almost 6 inches in the first couple of months and i have clay soil .But forgot that some of that soil was from backfilling after the basement was finished .

Reaction score
Not great pics, it is all dug out now so i can get better pics tomorrow morning when we measure it properly and has totally cleared it out and checked once more for any missed sharp stones! Then its sand, carpet and liner time!

Attachments

• SAM_0207.JPG
    SAM_0207.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 282
  • SAM_0210.JPG
    SAM_0210.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 297
  • SAM_0241.JPG
    SAM_0241.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 289
Reaction score
you may or may not want to with larger liner in case you want to expand it later, but guess you can only hide but so much liner

Ask a Question