The challenging pond build (uk)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You got the bug and you don't have a drop of water in a pond yet ......run while you can ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Quick update; had a couple of potential tenants looking around, asking about completion dates etc...

IMG-20210506-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20210506-WA0003.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Work on the midden pond continues.. last big delivery of materials due Tuesday.

The bog filter site has been cut into the hillside, well, 4 inch slope... 2.4m sleeper for scale, it is pointing towards the pond camera left... sand, carpet and geo yet to go down.

20210507_103011.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Main block work done, a couple of courses of brick to go in and help define the waterfall.

Hard-core, bottom right, yet to get some gravel, and then topsoil.

20210507_102947.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Better view from the front edge, the three bricks on top of the blocks indicate rough position of the waterfall, will be creating a gully back to the bog filter...

20210507_102939.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
using your tight space well!
Agreed if I could make a suggestion at the top of that falls area have a split fall that comes right toward the cameras view then have it turn to the left and angled so you see more of the side of the falls but still a little of the actual front of it .
Looks like it's going to be interesting being framed by the brick walls does wisteria grow in the uk ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
A microscope may be required, those individual squares are 1 inch!! but in the name of "methodical anticipation", the time until the bog filter is ready gives an opportunity to grow some bog plants... or drop them other areas... the tenants have been asking... :)

20210507_141844.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Agreed if I could make a suggestion at the top of that falls area have a split fall that comes right toward the cameras view then have it turn to the left and angled so you see more of the side of the falls but still a little of the actual front of it .
Looks like it's going to be interesting being framed by the brick walls does wisteria grow in the uk ?

Funny you mention that about side view of falls... :) there was an idea that evolved yesterday that, if I can make the engineering work, might be quite fun.

yes, wisteria does well in uk, prefers sunny walls from what I understand, so that will be the left wall. The wall on the right faces north, never sees the sun.... perhaps some decorative mosses??? lol, I was thinking bamboo fencing I think its called.... like a fence on a roll... but plenty of time before I need to fret over that.. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi kelpie, looking good already, regarding wisteria i thought the flowers and seeds were poisonous to most animals including fish, i dont know if you are having fish but ducks would also probably eat the flowers and seeds, something else for you to think about ?:)cheers mark

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Better view from the front edge, the three bricks on top of the blocks indicate rough position of the waterfall, will be creating a gully back to the bog filter...

View attachment 138676
I'm no mason, but I'd be a little concerned about the side pressure against those walls.

Those blocks are not meant for side pressure.

I don't know the proper terminology, perhaps the experts will chime in to explain it better.
I would have installed something extending horizontally into the soil for anchorage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks mark very good spot, i didnt know that... adding wisteria to the jack tar list! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I'm no mason, but I'd be a little concerned about the side pressure against those walls.

Those blocks are not meant for side pressure.

yea, i wondered about that and spoke to a builder friend... he thought it wasnt going to be a problem but to make sure I back filled the area up to the height of block 3 with concrete, and the foundations under the blocks are 12 inches deep. but thats not obvious from the pics.

Out of interest, the rated lateral load before failure of those blocks is 5000psi, doubling the volume of water I'm expecting to hold gives a surface load of 1.0976948lbs per sq inch. I think I'm ok.... over engineered as usual... we will see what Mr Reality says about it. :)

edit;
just rechecked my numbers using specific ratings for that block, rather than generic; that block is rated at 1058psi, the actual water level will exert 0.5488474psi.

but always worth checking twice, building once.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
yea, i wondered about that and spoke to a builder friend... he thought it wasnt going to be a problem but to make sure I back filled the area up to the height of block 3 with concrete, and the foundations under the blocks are 12 inches deep. but thats not obvious from the pics.

Out of interest, the rated lateral load before failure of those blocks is 5000psi, doubling the volume of water I'm expecting to hold gives a surface load of 1.0976948lbs per sq inch. I think I'm ok.... over engineered as usual... we will see what Mr Reality says about it. :)
Ok. I was just a bit concerned, but it sounds like you have it all calculated.
I would think the water will give considerable push back support once filled, so that will help.

Ask a Question