Hardiness Zone
6a

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pond lin ing changed from 25mm polystyrene to a 2mm semi rigid floor protection, that also reduced the cost by another £1 per sQm. There are still plans to cover in carpet and geofleece too.,............... With all the buried treasure you have in your soils I definately would not skimp on protection of the liner. Placing a layer of sand can help this situation on the horizontals. I too used sheet stock to aid in this

Theres bound to be some unknown unknowns, but Mr reality will be delivering them in due course. :)
[/QUOTE]
Chin up chap . One step at a time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom

yes, that was a great post. Thanks, it explained to me some time ago the water went upwards, rather than what I had to that point previously understood it going left to right.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not totally getting the wet sleeper idea, but if you have it under control, that's what counts.
I know sometimes it's hard to describe things in writing.

When I added on my bog, I lifted the pond liner, which ran up a hill under my old waterfall. Built the wall that separates the pond and bog. Then laid the old (lifted) liner over that new wall. Then laid the new bog liner over that with an overlap of about 2 feet.

heres a thousand words that might help? The brown lines / bog filter; theres no sleepers on the bottom as the pic seems to indicate. Its just 4 walls there...

pond x section.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
more "treasures" from the 'pit'. The drainpipe on the right is cast iron or wrought iron.. very old. the metal detector went off the clock when it saw that.. lol

more treasures.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
more "treasures" from the 'pit'. The drainpipe on the right is cast iron or wrought iron.. very old. the metal detector went off the clock when it saw that.. lol

View attachment 138267
I'd alter your design/drawing a bit as you don't need the sleepers ON the pond liner at all. You can either make it ONE liner for everything (as poconojoe alluded) or, you can have the pond liner slide UP under your bog liner at the waterfall surface. The idea you'll get water at your sleepers shouldn't be one to entertain. Keep all the water inside the bog and make sure it all pours out over the bog liner (or the ONE LARGE LINER) and you're good. You'd underlap the pond bog portion by at least 6 inches, I'd do 12 minimum to prevent wicking upwards.

And make sure you have at least 12" overlap on all sides of your bog in case the water rises. This means your bog walls are also at least 6" higher to accomodate. Only at the outlet, the new waterfall, will the wall height be lower.

Hope this clears the idea poconojoe was laying out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I'd alter your design/drawing a bit as you don't need the sleepers ON the pond liner at all. You can either make it ONE liner for everything (as poconojoe alluded) or, you can have the pond liner slide UP under your bog liner at the waterfall surface. The idea you'll get water at your sleepers shouldn't be one to entertain. Keep all the water inside the bog and make sure it all pours out over the bog liner (or the ONE LARGE LINER) and you're good. You'd underlap the pond bog portion by at least 6 inches, I'd do 12 minimum to prevent wicking upwards.

And make sure you have at least 12" overlap on all sides of your bog in case the water rises. This means your bog walls are also at least 6" higher to accomodate. Only at the outlet, the new waterfall, will the wall height be lower.

Hope this clears the idea poconojoe was laying out.

yes, yes. Thinking about it now, the decision process I went through at the time: The only reasons were a wall of black liner clearly visible until plants can hide it or a nice looking wooden planter from day 1.. I seem to think cost was another element too.. need to check my notes on that.. (rummages in bin for envelopes)

I'm not adverse to the idea of one liner all the way.. just exploring the opportunity of an alternative elegant solution...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
yes, yes. Thinking about it now, the decision process I went through at the time: The only reasons were a wall of black liner clearly visible until plants can hide it or a nice looking wooden planter from day 1.. I seem to think cost was another element too.. need to check my notes on that.. (rummages in bin for envelopes)

I'm not adverse to the idea of one liner all the way.. just exploring the opportunity of an alternative elegant solution...
I hid my bog wall liner with stacked rock. You'd dig a shelf out in front of your sleeper box wall and after lining bog + pond, stack the facia rock on top of this shelf. This way, even if water gets behind your rock, it'll still end up in the pond. I made a 'flap' between the next to last and last layer of stacked rock, and placed it so the edge of this flap protrudes toward the pond. A lip, so to speak, so the water shoots out over the wall and/or down it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
yes, yes. Thinking about it now, the decision process I went through at the time: The only reasons were a wall of black liner clearly visible until plants can hide it
You don't have to wait for the plants to grow to hide that vertical black liner wall. Just pile rocks, or whatever you like, right on top of the gravel up to the top of the wall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I hid my bog wall liner with stacked rock. You'd dig a shelf out in front of your sleeper box wall and after lining bog + pond, stack the facia rock on top of this shelf. This way, even if water gets behind your rock, it'll still end up in the pond. I made a 'flap' between the next to last and last layer of stacked rock, and placed it so the edge of this flap protrudes toward the pond. A lip, so to speak, so the water shoots out over the wall and/or down it.

rocks are something of a scarce commodity on this build, but plenty of wood... and broken building rubble, lots of that..

you mention another element in my known unknown category; I understand about the liner under the next to last stone... how do you stop the water taking that route rather than over the top of the last stone? black foam? some sort of caulk? a very good fit?? Its a problem I was saving until later, but now you mention it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
rocks are something of a scarce commodity on this build, but plenty of wood... and broken building rubble, lots of that..

you mention another element in my known unknown category; I understand about the liner under the next to last stone... how do you stop the water taking that route rather than over the top of the last stone? black foam? some sort of caulk? a very good fit?? Its a problem I was saving until later, but now you mention it :)
I didn't think it was critical as all I wanted was a waterfall wall. I left gaps between the stones of the last course so there's 'channels' for the water to go through as well as what flows under the last course rocks. The foam might work but it's not waterproof per se but will direct water as you wish. Water though, will find it's own way most of the time. I'm only trying to hint at which direction it should be taking!

You could also use this shelf-in-front-of-your-wall for pots of plants that will take water pouring on them, to disguise your liner behind them. There's also a product called 'rock on a roll'. This too can help camoflauge it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Something to think about:
I have all my plumbing within the bog and pond. This way if there's ever a leak in the plumbing, the water cannot not escape the system.

Thats a very good idea, i can put the side berm under the liner and hide the pipe with on the liner with wood.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Another method for hiding liner is needle punch non woven fabric that we use here in the states. "Not so United these days" I liked you idea of having the liner run from edge to edge of the bog. Simply build out the edgeand any water will never
20210421_082434.jpg
get out. Now the fabric draped over the liner will wick water within reason for a couple inches in height. This is a perfect constantly moist area for moss. Just rub what ever strain you like on it and watch it grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Another method for hiding liner is needle punch non woven fabric that we use here in the states. "Not so United these days" I liked you idea of having the liner run from edge to edge of the bog. Simply build out the edgeand any water will neverView attachment 138283 get out. Now the fabric draped over the liner will wick water within reason for a couple inches in height. This is a perfect constantly moist area for moss. Just rub what ever strain you like on it and watch it grow.

if mine ends up looking half as good as that I will be very pleased. cracking shot, beautiful stream.

that moss idea is very doable, the right side of the stream faces north and gets the sun for a short time probably only at the equinox! plenty of moss around other nooks and crannies that face the same way... thats just been added to the job list.

Other additions today are underwater camera and wildlife camera. I have a nice 8mp Hikvision sitting on the shelf just begging to be used. It would be churlish not to. :)

Ask a Question