The dreaded shop-vac as a pond vac thread

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan so the smaller version is still out of stock and the larger one, shown below is available. I know you said it's a bit larger than what I might need but we are getting ready to hit "snot season" and I'm ready to buy. Do you still think this larger version would work? Maybe put a large screen over the sucky part to keep the fish out?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shop-Vac-14-Gallon-6-Peak-HP-Shop-Vacuum/999998030

This size will work OK, but it doesn't have the built-in pumping feature as the model I earlier recommended. The difference being that you will have to periodically stop and empty the canister which can be a real PITA at times.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No that's ok, both sites are confusing so I wanted a second pair of eyes before I buy.
Do you know if there are any additional attachments I should look at or just plug it in and vacuum away?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
What about a venturi type vacuum that's powered by a garden hose? Here's one.

It works just like a small gold dredge, here's the claims on the add for this one (costs around $20)
Easy to use: Simply attach the vacuum together and connect the vac to your garden hose. The vacuum works with the force of the water pressure entering into the vacuum creating a venturi action in which then draws debris and leaves right into the mesh net.

Simple design and easy to use.
Designed for use with a garden hose or 1-1/2 in. vacuum hose *(not Included).
Great for use in Vinyl, Fiberglass or Smooth/ Rough concrete-plaster surfaces.

Vacuum comes complete with: Vacuum port body, Mesh bag, Lower vacuum with 2 wheels, two types of pole adapters (Garden hose adapter and 4 foot thread together pole).
Vacuum is also able to fit on a standard telescopic pool pole with a 1-1/4" in diameter end. (not included)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks Stephen, I like the cost and the ease of it but it's not debris so much as snot algae. It would clog up that net too quickly to be useful. I appreciate the suggestion though. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
It works just like a small gold dredge, here's the claims on the add for this one (costs around $20)
Those work great for picking up woody-leafy debris, but fine material, fish poo and uneaten food goes through the mesh bag. They really stir up the mulm on the bottom and make the water cloudy, which is good if you want the filters to catch it; but it can kill your water quality, especially if you have a lot of anaerobic crud on the bottom.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Woohoo I'm excited.
To vacuum.
Again. Lol
Thanks Meyer, as always you are super helpful.
Tbendl, I am wondering how the shop vac worked out last year? I am currently trying to decide what to buy to clean up the muck.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@AdrianaLevef - T hasn't been around the forum much lately, but I can tell you she didn't use the shop vac. Read the thread and you'll see she decided to get a pond vac instead. A shop vac isn't really designed for pond cleaning - pond vacs are much more efficient if you have the need for one.

Ask a Question