The early challenges building a 1982 concrete pond

The PondFather

The PondFather with my Grandson enjoying my pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
That is not true about liners back then .My dad and I built our pond at our farm with a rubber roofing liner back when I was 11 years old .He came home with a huge heavy rubber roof piece and said Sissy we are putting in a pond .OH boy I was excited until he handed me a shovel .We spent weeks digging a big hole in the ground and then wrestling that huge rubber thing into the ground .Then rain and snow filled it and some water from our well and a year later we had a full pond .My dads first pond was a rubber roof liner in PA long before I was born and he built the waterwheel for it and it still existed until the house burned down a couple of years after they died .I only have 1 pic of it
Wow, that's a really neat waterwheel. Could've been a tourist attraction. Your dad was quite a carpenter! Thanks for sharing

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It was just an old cabin that that we had in PA that was on land that was given to my mom and dad before I was even born and we spent summers there .Sad to say when it burned down the whole thing went up in flames .Dry wood burns hot .It was on 4 rooms and no bathroom we had an out house .We did have a hand pump for water in the kitchen .My dad always told me he modeled it after something him and mom saw one time on vacation .So there may be a twin out there similar ,some where if it is still standing .My uncle Ivan Fritze helped him build it and there family was the one who gave us a small piece of his big farm up in Benton PA .I think they did that because we were family and we lived there until I was 4 and the moved to NJ ,but always went back .Millville fair and Bloomsburg fair were the best .Thank you and wish there were more pics of it .

Ask a Question