The little hole that could...

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've been waiting to hear about your pond redo.
So that is what lilies look like when allowed to get out of their pots!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome back! So, what size pipe did you use for the bog -- hoping mine is big enough (1-1/2")...... I have that plant, Ginger Lily, is what I call it -- didn't think about using it as a bog plant, but it can be invasive just in the yard. Bogs can go wild Ina heartbeat! How are your fish?
I used a standard garden hose for the tubing and I don't know maybe 3/4 or even 1/2" for the tubing. It's just wayyyy to small and the fish are growing. Although not as fast since I quit feeding them awhile back.
As soon as my water gets clear again I'll take some pictures of the little wigglers.
Your lily should meet my irises. I spent hours digging ONE CLUMP out two years ago - never again. Now they get divided HARD every year. I already pulled a bunch up in June when they started looking at me funny!
I have already spent 2 days digging and still have a bunch left. These things are just plain MEAN. I do want to add the purple flowering things, I think they are LA Iris?

And thanks everyone, I will try to remember to take some pictures after the fact. If this stinken' water storm moves in this weekend I don't know what I'll do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh noooo, I enjoy the build, (and the complaining about the build) too much to turn that over to anyone else.. LOL

Agreed. Although I did appreciate having my sons around to move the big two- and three-man boulders. But I figured "hey, I made THEM and THEY are lifting the ROCKS so it's like ME lifting the rocks!"

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well here is an update on what's been going on. I posted back in Feb or March my desire/need to redo my pond, which would include putting in a new liner and re-configuring my bog. Throughout long discussions of how to do this, I decided that I really wanted to put down carpet or the carpet padding as an underlayment when I redid the pond. I also know I had a boatload of carpet and carpet padding in my house that would totally work.
The only thing that made sense, and saved a bunch of money, was to redo all of the flooring in my house so I could have the old carpet and padding for my pond.
Of course once they pulled the carpet I realized I really wanted to redo my fireplace and paint all the walls and put in new countertops and pull my tub and install a walk-in shower......
I'm saving money right???
Well during all of this joy and happiness I had a 3 week conference in Indiana and 2 full time summer college classes. The 2 week remodel stretched into 2 months and during all of this I didn't touch the pond. I am now in fall semester with 2 tough classes and another web class for a work certification thing that will run through October. Oh and I work and volunteer.
What? I'm insane? Yes totally. Anyway I digress....
Oh AND I had an injured kitten adopt me during all of this. She showed up with a pretty serious leg injury and a bag of cash later I have a new addition to the family. Her name is Esme and she is ridiculously adorable and ornery. She will fit right in.
Toward the end of the remodel, my bog began leaking over the edges because I had way too much growing and 2 teeny tiny PVC pipes that were covered with roots... I had to do something.
So in typical Tara fashion, I started by pulling a few plants, both inside the pond and out since I hadn't done a spring cleaning... Then realized the roots were entwined in my plumbing and I would have to dig them out and replumb.
So I emptied the bog... Found a few holes... Decided I needed to rebuild it... Pulled the entire structure down and am now trying to figure out WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING...
However I share a few remodel pictures because I love how it turned out.
The pond will rise again.... But I just wanted you to see the bog at the end of it's life and my summer project.

2016-07-03 20.48.00.jpg 2016-08-01 07.36.52.jpg 2016-08-16 07.42.19.jpg 2016-08-16 07.42.34.jpg 2016-08-19 15.32.06.jpg 2016-08-20 10.56.01.jpg 2016-08-30 17.43.54.jpg 2016-08-30 17.55.34.jpg 2016-08-30 17.42.11.jpg

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Just lovely tbendl! Funny to read your story. It's how I do things too. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@tbendl Job well done on the house and you will thank yourself in the end cuz of all that money you saved! Us ponders are thrifty :sneaky:
Your new kitty is sweet and is this where I am supposed to ask what her name means? Or should I look it up......................I looked it up cuz I am impatient to the hilt. Found out it means: esteemed to be loved..........very fitting :love:

Ask a Question