The little hole that could...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Just catching up on this thread this am. Tbendl your pond is looking great.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I fixed the waterfall video I hope and here are a few after the rocks I got on Saturday. The bog is chock full of plants and gravel and water.
700+ lbs of rock this trip. I was outta gas on Sunday...
I am also going to try and put some small pots in the rock throughout the bog wall and try to get some succulents to live there. Something to soften the cairn look I've got going. Has anyone else done this?

17.JPG

18.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Vining type plants will help. I have that piled rock waterfall look too but they say stacked rocks give a calming effect, maybe that's why I'm not worried about it :cool:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love that I can't see the liner anymore but just want to break up the uniform look of it and outside of bringing in larger boulder types I think the plants may help. I was thinking I could wrap some succulants with a little dirt and some burlap and tuck them in the rocks to grow. I would want something I could water maybe 1x a week.
@j.w you have a nice even slop to your waterfall, I like the look of it. Mine looks like there's a body buried underneath it all. I hate to be that obvious about it. :cautious:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sedums will work. They have sprawling ones and they don't need water hardly ever, just a little dirt and they should grow well.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks j.w I'm going to look for those. I have to go to Lowes this week or weekend and get some stain to re-stain Fred, my Pelican so I'll look for some Sedums while I'm there. My family wants to know what the heck I'm going to do with all my free time now. I explained I wasn't even close to being done with the pond
Although I am tickled to be relatively done with the heavy lifting in time to decorate the house for fall. :)

Reaction score
I fixed the waterfall video I hope and here are a few after the rocks I got on Saturday. The bog is chock full of plants and gravel and water.
700+ lbs of rock this trip. I was outta gas on Sunday...
I am also going to try and put some small pots in the rock throughout the bog wall and try to get some succulents to live there. Something to soften the cairn look I've got going. Has anyone else done this?

View attachment 75717

View attachment 75718
Oh my gosh I LOVE those ROCKS!!!!! ;)

Reaction score
I love that I can't see the liner anymore but just want to break up the uniform look of it and outside of bringing in larger boulder types I think the plants may help. I was thinking I could wrap some succulants with a little dirt and some burlap and tuck them in the rocks to grow. I would want something I could water maybe 1x a week.
@j.w you have a nice even slop to your waterfall, I like the look of it. Mine looks like there's a body buried underneath it all. I hate to be that obvious about it. :cautious:
I think new ponds just have that lack of plant look and then BAM it will be filled and lush! Next year when the lilies take hold your surface area will be broken up also. Have you seen the Youtube video of the ponddigger wrapping the plant in felt liner and whatever medium like a burrito then nestling between rocks?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Dawww, thank you Lisa. My hubby picked them out for me. He has good taste in rocks.... And women... LOL
It's coming along!! I forgot to take a picture of my bog but it is already chock full of addy1 plants and some other stuff. Now if my water would clear again... lol

Reaction score
Have ya tried the quilt batting some how under your falls? I put it in a mesh bag. Mine was for the dirt floating in the water when I mess around

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sedums work great, I have a bunch I just stuck in a little dirt in the rocks and they have taken off. (Bonus, the bees love the flowers in the fall)
Put creeping jenny, low growing evergreens, (junipers) ground covers etc. Put in a few low growing grasses, lirope etc all will look great.

Ask a Question