The little hole that could...

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Addy1, how often do you have to water them? I was thinking sedums would require the least amount of water and I could do the burrito thing with dirt. I have a couple places where I've actually got pots stuck in the wall of rock. I was thinking I would add more if that works but like the natural look of just shoving them in holes. I don't have dirt there though so I would have to wrap them since the liner is underneath all that rock.

Reaction score
Yeah, and down the road when your plants are out of control you can get a goat just like theponddigger! Really I have gardened for 26 years and my gardens are out of control. I beg for people to come get some plants so I don't have to kill them! Same plants people pay lots of money for at the stores. Sometimes I want to give my number out to people at the garden centers and tell them to come over for free!! But that sounds bad :(

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy1, how often do you have to water them? I was thinking sedums would require the least amount of water and I could do the burrito thing with dirt
I don't water them, even with a real dry summer. The only ones that get water when I remember, which is very random, are the potted ones on the deck. They get hot west sun and dry out fast.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
There are lots of different Sedums in the garden stores.
Here are a few of mine:

Sedum spurium in bloom
IMG_4118.JPG

Sedum sieboldii
IMG_1864.JPG

Lost the names for these bottom two
IMG_1810.JPG

IMG_4034.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have all of those and about two dozen more... I may have a sedum problem! And they grow in the smallest amount of dirt you can imagine. Just cram as much as you can in the hole and stick the plant in. If you can get some landscape fabric in there with some dirt, that's good. If not, shove them in there anyway! I've had small pieces break off, get knocked down the wall, and root themselves and take off. They don't mind the heat and I never really worry about watering them, once they're established. I've also got creeping phlox in between rocks - it's so pretty when it blooms in the spring, and it stays nice and green all summer long.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe we need a sedum swap meet via the forum! (except it sounds like you have the most, lisak)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Maybe we need a sedum swap meet via the forum! (except it sounds like you have the most, lisak)

We do have a lot. And my husband is worse than I am - he can't pass them by if he sees one we don't have. We both need a support group!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing, I have picked up a few cuttings as I walk our streets.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wow jw they are beautiful and thanks to both Lisa's. I'm on the hunt. Although with as chilly as it was this morning, I'm wondering if I shouldn't wait till spring. I did pick up a few $1 plants at Lowe's this weekend though. Might have to go back for a few more.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love the 1 buck plants, get a bunch what makes it makes it, can't beat the price!

Reaction score
OHHHHH, I will NOT run out to the store right now a buy more sedum! , I will NOT run out to the store right now a buy more sedum! , I will NOT run out to the store right now a buy more sedum!!! I have vines and lilacs to plant instead.

Ask a Question