The meek shall inherit the Earth...

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
This is a continuation of my scaredy cat thread but I'll post it here in the indoor section since it has to do with my tanks. Here is the story so far:

1) Bought 3 balloon belly red eyed tetras. They hid away and I was afraid they would starve to death as the other fish were eating all the food before they came out.
2) Started up the small tank and put them there so they wouldn't be afraid.
3) Still afraid so I bought 2 more BBRETs. These 2 were more aggressive and swum around but the first 3 still hid.
4) After a while, they are more or less all swimming out now.
5) Moved the small tank from under the big tank (I was planning to use the small tank as a sump) and all 5 BBRETs began hiding again.
6) Moved swordtails and some platys there. The RETs timidness is causing other fish to be timid too.
7) Finally moved 4 of them (last one hid too well) back to the big tank, either they'd starve to death or eat.
8) Today, their timidness is causing my blood fin tetras to be timid too. This is the last straw for me. In 1 more day, if they are still like this, I'm giving them back to Petco. They're causing both tanks to look like there's nothing in them.
9) Argh!

Reaction score
Give if some time man! It sounds like you are playing musical tanks with your fish. That could be stressing them a bit. Also, did you quarantine the new fish? Did you treat them for possible diseases? As far as I know, it is always a very good idea to quarantine and treat new fish so that you do not introduce disease into your existing tank and to your new fish. Maybe they are hiding because they are ill.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
The above happened over a long period of time, maybe 5-6 months. I don't think they were hiding because of stress. None of my fish ever hid because of stress. I didn't QT them from tank to tank because the chemistries should be the same, they've shared plants and media. I'm pretty sure it's because of their nature.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've seen dither fish used with good effect in cases like yours. A school of fast-moving, active fish is introduced to the tank, and their constant movement seems to make the shy fish feel more at home. Guppies, Zebra danios, White Clouds, and similar fish will all work. HOWEVER, not in all cases!
John

Reaction score
John I'm referring to the BBRETs. It sounded like you had purchased them recently. The fact that they shared common plants and media doesn't really mean you shoukdnt QT them. ALL fish coming from a fish store should be QT. You never know what they might be carrying. A new fish that seems fine could easily be carrying something that could kill one of your existing fish. Im not saying this is your issue, but I think it is important info.

Reaction score
Trying to play God with your fish isn't always as easy as it seems.

Perhaps if you threaten to throw the ones not doing your will in the frying pan you'll get better results.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Happy to say that the BBRETs are now much more active than before. They are now less afraid and coming out more, especially during feeding times. Only 1 guy is really hiding and he still comes out. I think it's the schooling effect. The bold fish are causing them to come out too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
John add a little galic into the food if that doesnt help then take them back, I've posted before about it on the pond side of things fish go for it like cats to catnip and its a good way of stimulating their appetites.

Dave

Ask a Question