j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Don't hesitate to stop filling from point to point so you can go slowly on the smoothing of the liner as the water will smash it hard against the liner and make it hard to keep up and once it's pushed against the sides it's hard to move......................oh yes I know :rolleyes:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I walked all over mine country, pushing folds yanking folds messing with folds lol. And once it is full wrinkles folds stay where they are, you might be able to smooth them some. Your folds look great btw.

Great job you did!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks everyone! Boyfriend figured all the pieces and parts I need, we went shopping and got the 2 pumps and all parts, today we will set it all up, then fill it! I will make sure to stay in the pond, push the folds flat as you said. Can't wait! Yep, KoiGuy, I'm REAL antsy to get it filled! Was afraid last night that Golden would get into it, but no dog prints so he stayed out. Really took a chance there! I will put extra liner under anything that sits on the bottom, plus on the shelves when I put plant pots on there. Hoping to have picture by this afternoon of water moving into skimmer and fountain! Don't have any stones for the waterfall, but may fix the liner edges up on the sides just to let it run down it. Will have the Skippy filter done, but not a waterfall weir yet. Going to look at the Classifieds .... isn't that where the one is that you sell, KoiGuy? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, the pond is filling as I type, and about time to go check folds again. :) Probably 15-18" of water, and rising. Boyfriend figured and put together all the "mechanical" parts and did an awesome job! And, after only one trip back to Menards for more parts, we got it all put together and the water running by shortly before 2 this afternoon. Been running water in it since then, taking a while, but I guess that's to be expected. So far, well is running and I don't believe I will have to worry about running out of water! Ground water is high here, and wells are only 25-35' deep, but 3' diameter, too. HAD to turn on the main pump and make sure it worked and voila! It did!!! Got a "bell" fountain, and it runs that and the DIY filter, which has nothing in it but the pipes so far. Got to get the grid and then fill it with filter media. Still need to "set" the filter box, and put pea gravel in bog, but it's all coming together. I may have it pretty much completed except for all the rocks that I don't have yet by this coming weekend when I have company coming from out of State! My goal was to get it filled by then, so I'm ahead of schedule. Thrilled!!!

Attachments

• About 3 inches in shallow part after 1.5 hrs.jpg
    About 3 inches in shallow part after 1.5 hrs.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 472
  • Main pump below, splitter going to fountain and waterfall.jpg
    Main pump below, splitter going to fountain and waterfall.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 528
  • Skimmer.JPG
    Skimmer.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 600
  • Water filling pond, bog on right.jpg
    Water filling pond, bog on right.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 487

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Way to go! it is so exciting to fill it and watch all your hard work come together.

Just be slow on adding fish let it cycle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes, M'am! I don't plan to add anything for a while. Someone said add goldfish after 2 weeks. Is that too soon, though? I have 5 in a 30 gal aquarium, one fantail oranda, 1 goldfish, 2 comets and 1 shubunkin. They are the "freebies" I got with the 55 gal aquarium purchase. Should I introduce them when it's time, or buy feeders and see how they do first? Problem is that I have had NO luck with the feeders. I was trying to buy some to grow up a little before the pond was ready, and all of them died. Some in 3 days, some lasted 2 weeks, but they all died, so I've quit trying. Will the pond be different? Also, I started the aquariums with RO (reverse osmosis) water, as for tropical fish, my KH was too high, or so I was told. I'm slowing switching the goldfish tank to well water, though.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well you can add your tank fish, most likely all will be fine, just check you water levels.

Pick one that you don't really care about in case something happens. If you let it cycle, make sure you tests are at a good level you should be ok and your fish do fine. Once you add fish keep a good eye on your test levels.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks, Addy. So, besides PH, KH and Ammonia, is there anything else I need to check? Nitrite or Nitrate, or do they go hand in hand with the other tests? I have the 3 test kits names (liquid tests).
Oh, and another question. When I was releasing the painted turtle to my farm pond (along with another one that wandered under my back deck this morning!), I got to wondering if I could add the tiny tadpoles or large bullfrog tadpoles to my new pond, or it also needs to cycle before adding them? I realize if I added them now, there would be nothing for them to eat, but wondering if there are any left in few weeks, if I could do that. I know I should quarantine them for a week or two as well. I have leeches in my pond, and I sure don't want them getting into my koi pond! YUCK!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, shucks! Pond filling has to end for today. Ran the well dry. LOL Good thing I filled horse water trough first! But, horses get to go to pasture this week, so they can drink from pond. Now, question is do I use the house well, and try to fill it some more, or wait? Have company coming next weekend, sure don't want to be short on water, but SURE wanted to get the pond filled, too. May run house well for a couple of hours. The other lasted 5 hours! And, the house well is deeper and newer. Yep, think that's my plan. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We ran ours on a off and on plan, ran for a hour, turned off for an hour. It was so dry here we didn't want a dry well, only have one.

The tadpoles need food, it will be a little bit before algae begins to from, I would wait.

Unless they have tadpole pellets....................

Ask a Question