j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just read on another post that you hate it when you mis-spell something. I'm the same way. Maybe the German background? J.w. and HARO..... separated at birth??? I always thought mom was hiding something! :shifty:
John
You never know John as I have been searching for who my birth father was...........did the dna and everything. So far it is looking like he was a Haile w/Irish roots and a bunch of other European blood thrown into the mix also. If your last name is Haro then maybe Haile came from Haro, Hale, Hail and down to Haile in the mix. I like the way they just changed the spellings of their names way back when and just went off about their lives.

@tbendl ah yes I remember the good old days...............and we even drank out of the garden hose and lived to tell about it :eek:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ouch that is rough John............we got one when I was 3 and reception was free..............good old rabbit ears (y)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We used to listen to radio programs when I was a kid. My mom has a bunch of recording of "The Shadow" and "Fibber McGee and Molly". I've gotten my daughter listening as well when we o on trips. She loves "Baby Snooks", (one of my favorites as well).

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You never know John as I have been searching for who my birth father was...........did the dna and everything. So far it is looking like he was a Haile w/Irish roots and a bunch of other European blood thrown into the mix also. If your last name is Haro then maybe Haile came from Haro, Hale, Hail and down to Haile in the mix. I like the way they just changed the spellings of their names way back when and just went off about their lives.

@tbendl ah yes I remember the good old days...............and we even drank out of the garden hose and lived to tell about it :eek:
Sorry, j.w., only the last two letters in HARO are from my last name. The European version of 'red'. Apparently some ancestor had red hair, or maybe a red nose from too much wine. There IS an Irish woman in my family tree, who left the Emerald Isle during one of the many potato famines. And the variations in spelling were often the result of immigration officials, who simply wrote what they THOUGHT the name should be, without asking for a specific spelling. (Most of these immigants couldn't spell anyway!) While doing research into my wife's ancestry, we came across a number of different versions of the name 'Conley', including 'Connly'. Connley', 'Connolly' and even 'Conroy'. All related! One of her great-grandfather's brothers wound up as a political figure in NYC; Richard B. Connoly, alias "Slippery Dick Connoly". Big name in the Tammany Hall goings-on.
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You all are cracking me up! I remember no TV, even a tiny black and white, my parents could not afford one and we had no car. My dad rode the train to work, we walked everywhere.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We were the first ones on the block to get a tv.
I remember checking the thermometer before I went to school - if it was -20F or below, I would wear a face mask.

If I wound up walking to and from school, both ways, uphill - it usually meant I was lost.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah and you only had to dial four numbers, then seven, then 10

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Ken_Curtis_Milburn_Stone_Gunsmoke_1974.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I remember our phone # way back when I was just a little kid. Atwater 3-0469 so you dialed AT3-0469.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I forgot the letter dialing time..............

Ask a Question