Thinking about it...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
The author states his bio filters have SSA ratings to help determine the filters maximum bio load. Is this based on the type of bio filter media housed by the filter? If the bio media determines SSA do you know any articles that rates the SSA for different bio media ? It seems to me just using this method would under estimate the amount of fish you can have in a pond. There is no mention of other places the BB can grow. Such as along the liner once pond is established , roots of plants and in a stream that has rocks and gravel. I wonder what percentage the dedicated bio filter contributes to the SSA available for BB.
Do you know if the weight chart is referring to koi only? Will a 10 inch koi and 10 inch gold fish have the same body mass? The reason I ask this is length alone take in all the dimensions (ht,girth) to determine the weight of a fish

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The author states his bio filters have SSA ratings to help determine the filters maximum bio load. Is this based on the type of bio filter media housed by the filter? If the bio media determines SSA do you know any articles that rates the SSA for different bio media ? It seems to me just using this method would under estimate the amount of fish you can have in a pond. There is no mention of other places the BB can grow. Such as along the liner once pond is established , roots of plants and in a stream that has rocks and gravel. I wonder what percentage the dedicated bio filter contributes to the SSA available for BB.
Do you know if the weight chart is referring to koi only? Will a 10 inch koi and 10 inch gold fish have the same body mass? The reason I ask this is length alone take in all the dimensions (ht,girth) to determine the weight of a fish

Wow! A lot of questions there....but good ones.
Different media have different SSA determined by size of media, surface texture of media and porosity of media. In attempting to determine the exact SSA of any media or even the exact requirements of a pond one would be quickly mired in a mathematical nightmare. Such exactness is not only not necessary as performance of any bacteria is dependent on many factors, much like many other things in aquatic ecology---temperature, pH, oxygen etc.
A close approximation of not only SSA but of the required total SSA is all that is needed as all fish have comfortable ranges of all of the main pond water quality parameters.
For all of the reasons noted above, general SSA ratings of various filter media is usually what is used to determine the appropriate level of biofiltration.
Surfaces such as EPDM liner are typically given a SSA rating of 1 m2/m3. Other SSA ratings for commonly used filter media are given in the charts below.
SSA ratings chart.jpg
SSA chart.jpg

Add to this the fact that the weights given in the chart from Russell Water Gardens are also approximate as the general physical condition of the fish is not taken into account....skinny, well-fed.
I would be comfortable in using this chart or the size/weight calculator here (http://www.koiphen.com/forums/koicalcs.php?do=calclenw) for Koi or Goldfish as they are very lose cousins genetically.
The answer to your question concerning percentage of SSA utilized by nitrifying bacteria may surprise you and many others. The answer is, on a good day under the most optimum conditions, nitrifying bacteria colonize only 3% - 5% of available SSA.

.......and sometimes there is no bacteria at all. But that 's another story for another thread.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! You will get a lot of good help here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

Interesting stats, somewhat intense! Many variables, especially how much one's filtration system can handle. I have overkill yet my fish are getting larger. Last year when I mentioned I had 3 spawns in one week, it took 3 weeks to get levels back to normal. I can't imagine how much ammonia was released that week. It was like an A-Bomb went off! Female koi create high maintenance ... with all due respect ladies but the was stressful ...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol one of the many reasons I stayed away from Koi! Beautiful fish, but I wanted a easy to care for pond. So we have pretty shubbies!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have not had any issues with raising koi ,keep it simple and hey will be healthy .Spend a fortune and learn money means nothing with your pond .Filter and lots of air and no over thinking everything and it can be easy .Now if i could explain this to dogs it would be easier

Ask a Question