Thinking combining a bog with a bio falls

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used a wye on both (I have 2 pumps of 4K each). The rule of thumb is to turn the water over 1-1/2 times an hour. I'm doing about 1x and the water is fine. I put about half the pond through the bog, give or take. You don't want 'waste' per se going to the bog. The water contains ammonia which will be converted, eventually, to nitrates by the bacteria colonizing your pea gravel in the bog. That's where the magic is. The plants then take up the resultant nitrates and round and round we go!

Thanks. You say that I should not have "waste" going to the bog. What is your method of removing the waste before the bog? Settlement tank?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks. You say that I should not have "waste" going to the bog. What is your method of removing the waste before the bog? Settlement tank?
I made two large (55 gallon) 'sock' filters which gets the fines out before the water hits the bog. Currently, I'm filtering at 200 microns, but also have 100, 300, and 400 filters.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@brokensword So how does that work before it goes to the bog it must be in a pressurized housing. Or do you pump to those the pump to the bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@brokensword So how does that work before it goes to the bog it must be in a pressurized housing. Or do you pump to those the pump to the bog
I worked it all out with Meyer, when he was still with us. This was the time when I had to dig up bog v1 due to clogging. It's gravity fed; pump feeds to the barrel, water filters through, builds to a certain level, then outlets via closed pipe to the bog proper. I temporarily ditched the sock filters last summer, thinking the plants weren't gettnig enough nutrients but noticed the same plant growth even after disconnect this year, so re-installed. Had too many fines floating around and the pond's a lot clearer now. That's what you get when over stocked, I guess!

Reaction score
Country
United States

Here is a drawing of what I am thinking - My main questions are (1) (if I need a prefilter on the Bottom Drain line) what kind of affordable prefilter is recommended and (2) is doing "Y" connectors into and out of the pump ok? Any other tips would also be appreciated!

Attachments

• 7C34AEC2-B8C5-4D68-81A3-B8FC572CFBC3.jpeg
    7C34AEC2-B8C5-4D68-81A3-B8FC572CFBC3.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I ONLY HAVE THE PUMP BASKET STRAINER BEFORE EVERYTHING GOES TO THE BOG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's sometimes confusing when people say don't pump waste to your bog - SOLID waste will clog a bog. Water full of nutrients however is key to a healthy bog. You can accomplish sending "clean" water to the bog several ways - a pre-filter as has been mentioned (leaf basket, sock filter, etc), pumping from a skimmer which catches the solids, or keeping the pump raised off the bottom of the pond so you aren't drawing in the solids.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will have a skimmer and a bottom drain that will use a pump basket strainer before the pump. After the pump split between a waterfall filter and the bog (about 20% of the pond surface area).

Fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will make a exception to that however. As with the matrix bog at least the way i planed mine was that i am pumping to the 24" culvert laying horizontally across my bog. i have the end of the pipe hitting the wall at the end of the culvert so that ay plat matter that makes it that far is hammered against the wall ad the drifts across the 24 inch culvert where hopefully it just lads o the bottom and rots . If it breaks up and i still floating then it will end up in the next layer being the matrix blocks where there is multiple grids for the debris to et hooked on. and again can just rot. turning to liquid nutrients. where it then enters the rock layers and makes it way up through the rock and into the roots of the plants.

Ask a Question