This is how a (fresh water clams) adult size that you need to know

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I keep hearing about clams harming fish so I'm not sure I should have any in my pond.

Reaction score
Tawagan Norte, Labangan Zamboanga del sur
Country
Philippines
So what exactly happened in the video? They are algae?
The clarity of your pond water is affected by the amount of microscopic plants, such as phytoplankton and algae, and other organic materials it contains. Algal blooms caused by high phosphorous, nitrogen, or animal wastes, typically turn the water green, but as these decompose, the water may turn brown. and fresh water clams feed on them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Google do clams harm fish and I see "Clam embryos develop inside the clam. The larvae of fresh water clams cling to the gills or fins of fish as parasites. This can harm stressed fish. Freshwater clams are also called mussel."

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Just unionid mussels attach to fish gills to complete their life cycle that are found in North America. There are other clams found in freshwater that do not require fish to attach to during the larval stage.

From my understanding even the Unionid mussels would need to be very over populated in a pond to adversely effect the gills of fish located in the pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It would take a sizeable population of any freshwater bivalve to noticeably affect the water clarity on the typical garden pond. Notice the number of clams in the small aquarium in the video. Multiply this by the capacity (gallons) of your pond.
This is not to say that they would not be a welcome addition to the overall diversity of a pond.

Ask a Question