Those adorable chipmunks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Does anyone know a way to discourage the chipmunks from digging tunnels around the house?
I don't want to hurt them in any way, I love having them around, I just want them to go do their diggings by the woods or anywhere else but in my flowerbeds, so that my flowers have a chance to grow.
thumbnail (1).jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Have you tried asking them politely?

Honestly, I'm not sure there is a way.

I love chipmunks as well. I love hearing them call each other and seeing them run around my pond and through the gardens. When I was a kid, a place I'd go camping had chipmunks, and they were always so active in the mornings. Always had fun as a kid waking up in the morning and watching them run around the campsite. I think that's why I like them so much now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Chipmunks. My little gardening friends. They love to help me out by digging up the seeds I've already planted and moving them someplace else. They've also let me know that asiatic lily bulbs aren't all that tasty - they sampled them all at least once or twice. And of course, they routinely remove the dirt between the rocks in our retaining wall. I didn't know I needed it removed, but they are happy to do it anyway.

Is there a way to stop them? I'm guessing no.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Moth flakes, I had a customer who had squires and chippies making there home in their cabin it was a nightmare to get them ALL out. but once I started using moth FLAKES can't be moth balls for some odd reason and there was a lot here there and everywhere. but when you have a food source out for them I doubt you'll have any luck

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I do not know how your yard is setup but give them other areas to be, they love lose rock cavity's. Maybe build a couple of stone areas if possible. Mine love the stone walls and the rock edge of my pond, they have so far never bothered the liner. I did have a rodent, not sure if it was a chipmunk eat a hole in my bubbler feature tubing, but a easy fix. I am glad you stated you do not want to hurt them, good for you (y)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are finally showing up here. The feral cats have finally disappeared. Owls, fox etc doing their job. Just started seeing them a few years ago. They are so cute! I have so many plants won't even notice if they move things around or eat something.

Reaction score
We sprinkle black oiled sunflower seeds on our stone path in front of the pond and also
all over the waterfall...it keeps them too busy to dig in the gardens. :)

Are you sure it's chipmunks? Our squirrels are the diggers around here. :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I do not know how your yard is setup but give them other areas to be, they love lose rock cavity's. Maybe build a couple of stone areas if possible. Mine love the stone walls and the rock edge of my pond, they have so far never bothered the liner. I did have a rodent, not sure if it was a chipmunk eat a hole in my bubbler feature tubing, but a easy fix. I am glad you stated you do not want to hurt them, good for you (y)
I live on 4 acres, I have flowerbeds all around the house and the garage, then grass, and then it's woodded all around except on the front where the road is.
The Chipmunk were the reason I had to renovate the pond in 2016. For over 10 yrs they just chased one another around the edge ( or so I thought) and then one day they started digging between the stones of the walls, at first it was just annoying having all that dirt falling in the pond, but then we started losing water and discovered that they had chewed several holes ...at this point the walls were collapsing as well so we decided to re do the pond.
In the flowerbeds up until last year the Chipmunk would only dig small holes, plant seeds or relocate a few bulbs and all that didn't bother me, it was a small price to pay in return we could enjoy the playful little critters
but last Summer they started causing serious damage
They chewed the invisible fence line TWICE, they chewed all the new shoots of my Hydrangea tree which I almost lost, and now they are digging several tunnels in my flowerbeds all over the place, and right under my plants. I've already lost 3 dahlias and the season has just started.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We sprinkle black oiled sunflower seeds on our stone path in front of the pond and also
all over the waterfall...it keeps them too busy to dig in the gardens. :)

Are you sure it's chipmunks? Our squirrels are the diggers around here. :(
Yes I'm sure, I see them!
I feed the wildlife at the edge of the woods to discourage critters from coming too close to the house...it doesn't work for the Chipmunks, they just fill their mouths with seeds and then run towards the house
They even get into my parrot's cage and steal her food.
I would not encourage them to be around the pond more than they already are, if I were you. If you read my reply above, they completely destroyed my pond one year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
we also have a chipmunk infestation, holes everywhere like Caddyshack gopher holes
Going to try the moth balls idea.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
All joking aside, they can indeed be terribly destructive. We do everything we can to discourage them around the pond and garden. They eat, dig and destroy. Not a fan.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
we also have a chipmunk infestation, holes everywhere like Caddyshack gopher holes
Going to try the moth balls idea.
I have moth balls under the deck to keep the skunks away, it does not stop the chipmunks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have moth balls under the deck to keep the skunks away, it does not stop the chipmunks
found this online:

Common chipmunk repellents are pureed garlic, hot peppers, or a combination of both. Steep the pureed garlic and hot peppers in 1 cup hot soapy water until the water is cool. Strain and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Shake and pour into a spray bottle. Spray this on plants you wish to keep the chipmunks from. Other chipmunk repellent suggestions include castor oil, predator urine and ammonium soap.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Chipmunk Control: Eliminating Chipmunks From Your Garden https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/animals/chipmunk-control.htm

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks @qclabrat , I was about to try Critter Ridder, I will give garlic and hot pepper a try. :)

Ask a Question