Thoughts on Koi Pond Build

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Can you explain this further? How do you know what the saturation point is foR the pond? IS this something the average pond keeper , like myself , can measure?

Saturation levels for Dissolved Oxygen are determined by water temperature.
Here is one simple chart giving the saturation level.
oxygen chart.gif

Or for if you want to be more exacting use the following chart. Using a straight-edge line up two known values to get the third.
oxygen, percent of stauration.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My pond is small, at 1700 gallons, with 4 koi. I'm adding a sand and gravel filter , made from a 55 gallon barrel this year, to increase mechanical filtration. My plans include the water going from the barrel to a shower filter, then back to the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
My pond is small, at 1700 gallons, with 4 koi. I'm adding a sand and gravel filter , made from a 55 gallon barrel this year, to increase mechanical filtration. My plans include the water going from the barrel to a shower filter, then back to the pond.
I responded to you in another thread about the S/G filter . I believe you had just purchased a 55 gal barrel. Did you start the build yet and if you did how is it coming along. It seems the Savio products are popular. Does your skimmer house a submersible pump? What is your maintenance routine for cleaning the bottom of your pond. So far no one has responded using a bottom drain. I probably sound like a broken record but I initially stayed away from koi because from reading other forums not having a bottom drain would lead to poor waste removal and mechanical filtration . But it sounds like members here are having success without the bottom drain.
Start a thread with your S/G filter build. I'm interested to see how it goes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I responded to you in another thread about the S/G filter . I believe you had just purchased a 55 gal barrel. Did you start the build yet and if you did how is it coming along. It seems the Savio products are popular. Does your skimmer house a submersible pump? What is your maintenance routine for cleaning the bottom of your pond. So far no one has responded using a bottom drain. I probably sound like a broken record but I initially stayed away from koi because from reading other forums not having a bottom drain would lead to poor waste removal and mechanical filtration . But it sounds like members here are having success without the bottom drain.
Start a thread with your S/G filter build. I'm interested to see how it goes.

I have one 1200 gph pump in my Savio skimmer. I use the Savio uvinex UV light , made to go inside their skimmer. I earlier had two pumps in the skimmer, but it moved the water too fast past the UV and it didn't work. I also have a Savio living pond filter.

I use a pool net ( very fine net ) to clean the bottom of my pond. I haven't started the filter yet....the barrel is staring at me - ha ha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
You didn't mention what is your intentions then you can plan for it , how large you can go for a pond and how many kois you want ?

i would say key factor is size . if you will have large pond with less fishes then you will not need that much maintenance and bottom drain , bottom drain is recommended as it keeps bottom clean and pond can be more productive with less biowaste in it you can add more fish this is the theory behind bottom drain that it removes waste it self before it breaks up and pollutes the water and adds stress on bio filters . so it adds efficiency when you have 10 kois of 17 inches it can produce alot waste.

but its not a must , you can do well without it too .you can clean bottom yearly or vacume .

i think 90% ppl here dont have it yet doing successfully by increasing other factors like filtration ,circulation or oxygen , remember fish waste breaks up very quickly , if we process water through bio filtration , its harmful effects are gone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
You didn't mention what is your intentions then you can plan for it , how large you can go for a pond and how many kois you want .
I didn't mention my plans because my intent for this thread was to get an idea what was working for other members.
if I go the route of a bottom drain and a filter pit for SC, S/G and bio then I have room for a 10 X 12 X min 3.5 ft so approx 3100 gal. Depending on the ground and my back I could go deeper to increase the ponds vol.
if I go without the bottom drain and filter pit the pond can expand to 10 X 16 X 3.5 ft.
I plan on a small stream and waterfall for both scenarios

Thanks for your input

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
AHHH digging I remember it well .Once you start you can't stop .;)Your stream and waterfall will do wonders for the pond water clarity and add a few pockets of plants in it and you will be amazed at how easy the pond will be to handle .I just use a pool net for the bottom every 2 weeks .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
AHHH digging I remember it well .Once you start you can't stop .;)Your stream and waterfall will do wonders for the pond water clarity and add a few pockets of plants in it and you will be amazed at how easy the pond will be to handle .I just use a pool net for the bottom every 2 weeks .
I agree 1000% with your post. I hope to have a pond digging party with my kids and grandkids. Hot dogs burgers beer and juice packs
I feel the best thing I did for my current pond was the 100 gal stock tank veggie filter that flows into a 2 tiered planted stream before entering the pond. This has allowed me to keep my pump going during the winter as there is always a hole for gas exchange . My first winter with the pond was 4 years ago and we had record cold and snow. I was nervous about the fish survival with the ponds surface frozen several inches . Thankfully the tank maintained a hole the entire time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
glad you included juice packs :)plants are natures true wonders the clean the air and they clean the air ,how much more can you ask for .I love having plants in my house .They make the winters shorter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I think a skimmer is very important, first without one the water can develop an oil sheen, which can block oxygen from getting into the water. The oil comes from dissolved organics and from algae; and secondly it skims off leaves and uneaten food that would just accumulate.

The main thing I would do differently if I had a do-over is bottom drains and a filter pit below water level. This summer's plans include installing a retro-bottom drain, a radial flow settling tank made from an IBC, (International Bulk Container), adding 4 55gallon fluid bed biofilter, a bogfilter and finally blending it all into the landscape well enough thewife doesn't kill me.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Never had a skimmer but if you have leaves you may have to net it or rely on a pool net and a skimmer .

Ask a Question