Tiling a Pond

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just had a garden refurb, part of which was a small concrete / block pond. (Semi-Circular about 1.5m dia and 600mm deep).

I was thinking about doing a Mosaic Tile finish to the wall and possibly floor, apart from the obvious Frost Proof tiles are there any "special" adhesives/ grout I should be using that are "fish friendly" or are they all pretty much inert

Cheers Dale

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome Dale. They like you to post an introduction in the introduction thread first, give us size of pond, how long you have been ponding, all the good stuff about you and your hobby.

Reaction score
taherrmann4 said:
Welcome Dale. They like you to post an introduction in the introduction thread first, give us size of pond, how long you have been ponding, all the good stuff about you and your hobby.

Sorry about that.

My name is Dale Bowman and Ive just finished building my small pond. I have had ponds in the past, but they were with the "usual Liners". This is my first "solid" pond and as my first post says, it's a semi-circle about 1500mm dia x 600mm deep (so not very big).
This pond has just been rendered so is very new and just wating for me to Tile it (as long as you all say its ok to)

SE18

David V
Reaction score
you can put sealant over it but I don't know how well that would prevent lime and other chemicals leaching from mortar, grout and thinset. The existing concrete is OK since you mention it is old. If you tile it underwater, it might get algea on it and not look like you think it should. I'd just tile above waterline. Concrete itself looks good.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
DaleB said:
Sorry about that.

My name is Dale Bowman and Ive just finished building my small pond. I have had ponds in the past, but they were with the "usual Liners". This is my first "solid" pond and as my first post says, it's a semi-circle about 1500mm dia x 600mm deep (so not very big).
This pond has just been rendered so is very new and just wating for me to Tile it (as long as you all say its ok to)

In the introduction area Dale. Where do you live? How cold does it get? What are you planning to put in the pond? The more information you can supply to the forum the more accurate information we can help with.

Ask a Question