Timber walls for a pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey I seen that some of the European natural swimming pools use timber for their walls.
I was wondering any and all thoughts on this. Is it a good idea to use timber? How long does it last?

The reason for asking is because I was thinking that it would be a nice way to get walls that really drop off without having to stair step them with boulders.

I was thinking of just stair stepping the first two step downs on the other side that would be facing the house with boulders then dropping off with timber walls to get deep quick. While on the deck side just using timber walls since I want the deck to over hang the pond any way.

For Example:

Pond Side layout_s.png

Pond Top layout_s.png

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
It almost looks like the wood walls go inside the liner, but you are just using them to hold back the soil, underneath the liner?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Never seen something like that. How do you keep them in place, not floating?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sweet design the timbers will last for decades wood rots when it gets wet dries out gets wet again and over and over, Keep it constantly wet and it will last a very long time. They are still pulling timber from the bottom of lakes and rivers in the usa that are old growth from centuries ago

Reaction score
Country
United States
With timber sticking out of the wall that the back fill is placed on top of

1687225107758.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No... but it is a totally different look.. it may not rot but i would wonder about splinters. I would lower those dead men and i would add a T to the outriggers as that will hold it down and from the wall bowing from the weight and pressures.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was just looking at prices and if I would lay the block my self it would be a lot cheaper then wood.

That said is it best to lay block before installing the liner or after ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
wasnt sure if it was best to have them under the liner or inside the pond after the liner is in place

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
unlike timber , cinder blocks can deteriorate. but if you pour the block with concrete you now have a wall that will last.

Reaction score
Country
United States
unlike timber , cinder blocks can deteriorate. but if you pour the block with concrete you now have a wall that will last.
Hi Greg. I know this is an old comment but I am currently building my own natural pool and running into problems sourcing timber. I have been looking for White oak beams but no luck. Do you have other recommendations? It will be entirely submerged. Thank you very much in advance for any helpful insights.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wood rots when it is allowed to get wet and then dry out and get wet stay damn dry out over and over . when it is continuously kept wet it takes a very long time. There are many species that can be used , cypress " better than oak" i imagine red oak would be a close second. White cedar , and even cedar yes cedar leaches and may create a tannin in the water but i'd think in time it would stop. fir i'd think would not be too bad a choice but like any wood but maybe more so splits and splinters could be nasty with fir

Ask a Question