To line or not to line.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Tula, it’s quite big. I think it’s 40” x 25” deep. Not sure if I could find a barrel liner that size. It is quite watertight so maybe I should just use as is. Most of the advice has been to line to extend the life of the barrel. Not sure what is best. Will the wood last longer if dried out with a liner or kept wet without, will it rot if wet ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to upload a photo, it may not arrive ! This was taken last year when new. Taping was to keep water in. I have since emptied it as there was a strange oily film and a smell.

Attachments

• C97ADCE6-AD3C-4689-92C8-82C20C0A9E68.jpeg
    C97ADCE6-AD3C-4689-92C8-82C20C0A9E68.jpeg
    332.9 KB · Views: 169
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@June I haven't found a preformed liner quite that large on the internet but that's not to say they don't exist. The other option would be to line it with liner material which would require folding and stapling or nailing it to the top of the barrel somehow. Maybe others will have advice or experience to speak on that option.

I am also not all that familiar with the barrels themselves but it would seem based on my limited research that the barrels that are meant to be watertight only remain that way when they are wet and/or are holding water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Km
Hi Tula, it’s quite big. I think it’s 40” x 25” deep. Not sure if I could find a barrel liner that size. It is quite watertight so maybe I should just use as is. Most of the advice has been to line to extend the life of the barrel. Not sure what is best. Will the wood last longer if dried out with a liner or kept wet without, will it rot if wet ?
Hello June, welcome to the forum.
The barrel itself has to have liquid in it to be watertight as the wood is porous. The wood absorbs some of whatever liquid it holds expands and becomes watertight.
This brings me to a point you mentioned "oily film" in one of your posts. This is either from something was stored in the barrel or that it was treated with, which could very well be toxic to plants and fish. So I would definitely line the barrel. I am in the states so I have no Idea were you would find a liner In Britain, but I would try to locate a store that carries pond supplies or sells barrels as planter. Odds are if they sell barrels intended to be used as planters or ponds they would carry liners.
Also if you want fish in your barrel I would use mosquito fish. They stay small and would be a better fit for the barrel. I put goldfish in my barrel a year ago. They grew to large for the barrel in just a few months, and I had to build a pond for them. In the end that mistake got me into the hobby, so a happy mistake.
Hope this helps, cheers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Km
Hello June, welcome to the forum.
The barrel itself has to have liquid in it to be watertight as the wood is porous. The wood absorbs some of whatever liquid it holds expands and becomes watertight.
This brings me to a point you mentioned "oily film" in one of your posts. This is either from something was stored in the barrel or that it was treated with, which could very well be toxic to plants and fish. So I would definitely line the barrel. I am in the states so I have no Idea were you would find a liner In Britain, but I would try to locate a store that carries pond supplies or sells barrels as planter. Odds are if they sell barrels intended to be used as planters or ponds they would carry liners.
Also if you want fish in your barrel I would use mosquito fish. They stay small and would be a better fit for the barrel. I put goldfish in my barrel a year ago. They grew to large for the barrel in just a few months, and I had to build a pond for them. In the end that mistake got me into the hobby, so a happy mistake.
Hope this helps, cheers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Panzer13, I think I will use a liner. We have suppliers nearby so that’s not a problem. The half barrel came from a Cooperage in Scotland and does appear to have been painted with something on the inside. I think ,having read a number of posts, I will use a sealer on the inside and outside. The barrel was quite expensive so I want it to last. I don’t intend to have fish in it. It is watertight and the film has not returned but I don’t want to take any chances. Thanks for your comments. Nice friendly forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Shawninfirmity, the numerous folds needed is what worries me about lining such a large barrel. Maybe I will have to use some sort of topping round the edges to cover when done. Thanks.

Ask a Question