too much air?

Reaction score
Otter, I'd love to start a DIY protein skimmer here....I've always been fascinated by them. I was talking with Squidhead about that this week. I know other sites have discussed these. Would be nice to start our own thread here on the subject. It's a challenging DIY project, but worth the effort since you can save a ton of money.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
Otter, I'd love to start a DIY protein skimmer here....I've always been fascinated by them. I was talking with Squidhead about that this week. I know other sites have discussed these. Would be nice to start our own thread here on the subject. It's a challenging DIY project, but worth the effort since you can save a ton of money.

Just noticed this thread now. A DIY protein skimmer is totally do-able. There are a good deal of reef keepers who have great how to DIY threads on them. I used to have a ton of great links saved before the hard drive took a crap, have to go back one day and search them out. Maybe down the road when I get this pond going and somewhat stabilized we can get into it.

Reaction score
ya i think the plants are hating the air, they dont seem to be doing very well since i added it, i am going to move most of them to the top of my filter

Reaction score
Just tone down the air with a manifold. The thing doesn't need to be a jetted tub. LOL!

Also, sometimes direct sunlight is the problem. Water lettuce as an example isn't a fan of sun all day and needs shade time. Sun can burn the leaves.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It get to 108-110 degrees here every summer and my ponds do not get any shade. We get sunlight early since we are 20 miles from the ocean and we are up against the mountains. I have not experienced that. I sell about a thousand water lettuce a year and none have burnt leaves.

Ask a Question