j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Make sure when you put that garden fence around your pond that the holes in the fence are small enough so bird can't squeeze through as that's what he did at my pond once. Then I had to take wire and loop it around the spaces so he couldn't get through anywhere. He got through a pretty slim spot and just ducked his head down and snaked right through. They don't like walking through stuff that bugs their legs too much so I've got bushes and spikes etc. all over to annoy the bird if he tries coming back. Next up will be land mines!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Drive way alarms didn't work for me, totally ignored it. I shot buckshot into the air the noise did a good job, but it still came back over and over. Darn bird.

Reaction score
The bird came back at least one more time after I got the deer netting up. This morning, I found the floating impatien island flipped over and the netting pulled off the stakes in the plant bog. Didn't see him today at all, course now he's cleaned out the pond he moved on. Grumble ....

Worked on the fencing and moving the netting up today. It doesn't look as bad as I was worried. The net is stretched tight enough about a foot over the water, fishies and froggies won't get caught up in it. Got to figure out what to do around the plant bog. Can't stick stakes in the ground, gravel isn't deep enough. Need to leave the bog area free of netting for the song birds that come to the water there. Stole the flat pavers off the back of the bog wall to make a rock tunnel over the shallow section next to the fountain. So the plant bog is going to need some work over, and more pavers.

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

Took the cap off the pipe today, so both sides are now connected.

IMG_0023.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So he got every single one of your fish Dianne and how many fish would that have been?

Reaction score
Seven adults. I didn't stock much, and we didn't get any fry this year. I'm so mad at myself for not protecting them better.

The babies are still tucked into their tub. They are ready to go into the pond, but I think I'll wait a few days now.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well darn that is too bad and now you only have the little ones, so you are starting all over again. Hope you can keep that dumb bird away! You are in Florida so could use those scarecrow squirter's all year round.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
So far I have been luck with my pond. I have 2 large maple trees that over hang my pond and I have a 4' high picket fence around the pond area.

I like Rubens idea. Take down the deer netting and wait for him with a pump pellet gun. Put about 10 pumps in it and look out. He will take off faster than the space shuttle or drop over dead.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
So far I have been luck with my pond. I have 2 large maple trees that over hang my pond and I have a 4' high picket fence around the pond area.

I like Rubens idea. Take down the deer netting and wait for him with a pump pellet gun. Put about 10 pumps in it and look out. He will take off faster than the space shuttle or drop over dead.
Personally I don't find they get the picture of staying away as well with a Pump up pellet gun as I do with a 12 gauge pump, a .17 HMR, or a .357 loaded with rat shot. I've never had one return after using these three.

Reaction score
Lead poisoning is a great cure. My FIL has been practicing on the iguana plague. I am sure I can enlist his help to protect his grandfish.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am one of the weirdos, just can't kill the bird, it is just doing what a critter will do to survive, find food hunt and eat it, just like us. Kill one, another will come, rather figure out a way to protect the pond from them, so far winning.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Me too on the no kill. So far so good here too after I did all the upgrade protection!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Me too on the no kill. So far so good here too after I did all the upgrade protection!

I just spent the time and effort to make the protection blend in, the fencing around the pond, hardly can see it, the netting wide openings for the small birds, but high enough so the heron can't reach the fish. I make it so the look of it does not bother me, the netting is hard to even see. Also high enough I can get into the pond work on the plants, etc without needing to remove it. I tried the fishing line over the pond, the one heron plopped right into the pond got tangled up in the lines did a header. It was so funny to watch. The way my pond is built, I was not able to get the lines good enough to keep the bird out, also I got tangled up in them.

Ask a Question