Totally newb

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The sump pump. The guy who originally had the house and built the pond has the sump pump drain into the pond. It was odd to me but my next door neighbor helped build the pond and said that's how it always was. I had plumbers come out to look and see about changing the way it drains but I hesitate due to the fish are used to it and don't want to change up their environment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A sump pump. I am new to having a pond, and have been reading a ton, watching videos etc. This is the first time I have seen a sump pump into a pond. Is it from the house, as in basement water or from somewhere else?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's from the basement. Trust me I get odd looks when people hear that's where the water drains.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If your sump pump is regularily emptying into your pond, and your pond overflows as a result, then the sump water is acting as part of your filtration system.
I agree with you that you should leave the setup alone if it is working so far.
You should be aware of the water quality now though, in case things change and you don't know why.
Just because you weren't told of any past problems doesn't mean that the prior owner didn't have any.
Test your water with a water test kit so you can establish a baseline while things look good.
These test kits are what most of us use:
https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?sectionid=1&catid=18&subcatid=94&id=587#.W4v1bS0ZNhE
https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?p=instructions&id=580

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ah. I just bought the master test kit. Later today we are going to see how deep the middle is. The guy who put in the pump said he thought it was about 700 gallons. Not sure how he came up with that number.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
IMAG1148.jpg IMAG1173.jpg OK here are some pictures of the pond today and my adult kids. The littles I couldn't get any good pics of. I'm going to do more accurate measurements when I get my testing kit on Tuesday. It was really hard to get clear pictures cuz they all got excited over the flakes and started clowning around. :snaphappy: even my husband had to say how fun it was to watch them. They are getting more used to us, before they wouldn't come out at all and I had to peek out the window.
IMAG1148.jpg
IMAG1173.jpg
IMAG1153.jpg
IMAG1174.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
All your fish look to be goldfish, which is good, they won’t outgrow the pond like koi will ( if the pond is 700 gallons). Just have to keep their numbers down as they spawn readily and can over populate the pond in time. Many stop feeding them during spawning time, so they will eat most of the eggs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi. The ones with the long tails are sarasa comets. They can be red or orange or white or any combination of those colors. I looks like you may have a wakin too. That has a fancy tail that has three parts. It looks like one of the orange ones is a wakin, but it's hard to see. They are all goldfish! I have had only goldfish for almost 10 years. They are easier to take care of than Koi because they don't get as large.

Ask a Question