Tribute to my dad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I thought I would post a picture of our current pond. My dad built it a few years ago and it used to be beautiful but got neglected when he got ill. We got loads of pondweed and all the fish died then we found a dead hedgehog who had wandered in and probably got stuck in all the weed so couldn't get out. Anyway, after my dad died my mum and me decided to completely empty it, clean it and restart it as my dad loved ponds, as sort of a tribute to him. Naturally I want to keep it healthy and nice. We did this last year and it's now home to 3 comets and 2 shubunkins who all seem happy enough. There is a covering of dark green/brown almost hairy stuff stuck all over the liner, literally everywhere around the edge although the water itself is clear. You can sort of see it on the ramp on the left of the attached pictures. I am just wondering is this normal/healthy? Or would you recommend trying to get it out somehow?

Attachments

• 20200706_205804.jpg
    20200706_205804.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 20200706_205820.jpg
    20200706_205820.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 93

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is good stuff, leave it be. It helps keep your water in good shape.

Your pond looks great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Do you mean all that moss? If so, that's all good stuff as others have said. I love moss! Whenever I find moss around my property I peel it off and stick it to the rocks around the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
On your liner is a nice covering of carpet algae which is good for your pond. What a nice tribute to remember your dad by bringing back the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all, that is good to know! We had a fair bit of blanket weed a few weeks ago and I got some blanket weed killer as it was everywhere, it did get rid of it but I was wondering if it the brown bits may have been dead weed. Also I think our fish are spawning, little bits of froth on the surface and the fish are chasing/bumping each other :)

Ask a Question