Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Images of my koi & tropical fish mix tank. Each image shows one of the different lighting combinations available using the custom lighting system I made.
tank1.JPG
tank2.JPG
tank3.JPG
tank4.JPG
tank5.JPG
tank6.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Koi and tropical fish tank mix eh ?
Sorry Marshall but you and I are going to be falling out in a moment .
Fresh water coldwater fish should not be mixed with tropical fish full stop, how long have you been keeping fiish now ?
There are books out there that show you which fish are safely compatable to be kept with other fish and nowhere does it say koi .....
The last koi I rescued from a tropical fish tank was in a sorry state to say the very least[it was in with an oscar however the fact remains that coldwater and tropical fish should not be kept together .
What does a later thread of yours read title wise ?..... Irresponsible pet owners ... well by putting the two species together you are indeed being irresponsible as a pet owner my friend

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Koi and tropical fish tank mix eh ?
Sorry Marshall but you and I are going to be falling out in a moment .
Fresh water coldwater fish should not be mixed with tropical fish full stop, how long have you been keeping fiish now ?
There are books out there that show you which fish are safely compatable to be kept with other fish and nowhere does it say koi .....
The last koi I rescued from a tropical fish tank was in a sorry state to say the very least[it was in with an oscar however the fact remains that coldwater and tropical fish should not be kept together .
What does a later thread of yours read title wise ?..... Irresponsible pet owners ... well by putting the two species together you are indeed being irresponsible as a pet owner my friend

Dave
I am responsible enough to know that you don't put new koi with the old and if you did not notice two of those guys are less than 4 inches long because they were just purchased. The two larger ones are their because (if you had read previous posts and not overreacted) they were given to me along with a crucian carp and therefor I am quarantining them for the time being because the pond they were in had a dam burst so I don't know how their health is. As far as the tropical fish go, only one of them is an actual "keeper" the rest are minnows and feeders for my turtles. Have a nice day.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Marshall, nobody can keep up with your posting ;)

Anyway, lighting is cool. I just not playing with my light anymore. My plants are not doing well may be I'm having my tank too cool (75 F) I have both goldfish and tropical in there. Goldfish are not meant to be permanent though, but one's been there for a year and the other a long while lol. My Tropical breed like crazy and i'm glad to have goldfish in there to help eat the babies or I wouldn't have enough space for them. I do have mix tank... with crayfish too.. but now I know not to add betta to the the tank.

I put a couple of tropical in the pond over summer to help with the goldfish fry and now I have 100+ tropical in the pond.... still dont know what to do with them.. getting colder and they still seems happy in there. I thought I put both male in the male turn female! and they haven't been good at eating fry too because I have 10+ new baby goldfish!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I am responsible enough to know that you don't put new koi with the old and if you did not notice two of those guys are less than 4 inches long because they were just purchased. The two larger ones are their because (if you had read previous posts and not overreacted) they were given to me along with a crucian carp and therefor I am quarantining them for the time being because the pond they were in had a dam burst so I don't know how their health is. As far as the tropical fish go, only one of them is an actual "keeper" the rest are minnows and feeders for my turtles. Have a nice day.
The fact still remains that you are putting coldwater fish in a tropical tank when clearly Marshall they shouldnt be.
You havent answered my question of you why are you mixing a tropical species with coldwater fish how do you know they are compatable with the tropical species "which they are not".
Tropical fish have a compatability problems just between themselves let alone anything coldwater
The koi I rescued from an irresponcible owner had been torn to shreds by the Oscar he had been put in with clearly the wrong tank mate yes Marshall ?
Then it can be the same for other species [point taken my friend ?]
Dave

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
The fact still remains that you are putting coldwater fish in a tropical tank when clearly Marshall they shouldnt be.
You havent answered my question of you why are you mixing a tropical species with coldwater fish how do you know they are compatable with the tropical species "which they are not".
Tropical fish have a compatability problems just between themselves let alone anything coldwater
The koi I rescued from an irresponcible owner had been torn to shreds by the Oscar he had been put in with clearly the wrong tank mate yes Marshall ?
Then it can be the same for other species [point taken my friend ?]
Dave

Dave
I agree overall that the two types should not be housed together as a permanent home but this was only a 4 day quarantine and also I don't house koi in aquariums period as far as normal permanent housing goes. I only use the aquarium for brand new koi I purchase in order to make sure they are okay before they go into the pond and also use the tank if one might be sick or as in this case the pond had an issue that required them to be temporary housed away from the pond. The koi are moving back to the pond in the morning or afternoon now that pond issue is fixed (was a crack in bio-filter housing). Now the tropical fish in this case were all feeders except for two bloodfins who were also in quarantine because their original 20 gallon tank had some dalmatian and black molly that kept picking on them and they managed to actually kill one of my bloodfins so I am still figuring out what to do with them as far as housing goes. I have been using that 75g tank as a quarantine for the past 3 to 4 years and have never had any issues or lost any fish due to them staying in the tank alone and with other types so I agree it is not good to mix but I think it should be acceptable in situations where there is no other options at the time and it is for a very short period of time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
by 4 day quara do you mean QTing your koi Mashall ?
If so be aware that th correct QT period for koi is from 4 to 8 weeks for koi and goldfish that way you wont end up being sorry you introduced something to your koi

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
If so be aware that th correct QT period for koi is from 4 to 8 weeks for koi and goldfish that way you wont end up being sorry you introduced something to your koi

Dave
4 days in the aquarium because I unfortunately only had stock tanks set up for reptiles and had to convert one over. 2 of the 6 koi have already been moved into a 450 gallon pond that has no other fish while the remaining 4 are in the stock tank. It's not perfect but the best I can do with my resources

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States

Dave
You should see what I have done with the aquarium now that I have stock tank for koi... I posted a few images in a previous post

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Marshall, nobody can keep up with your posting ;)

Anyway, lighting is cool. I just not playing with my light anymore. My plants are not doing well may be I'm having my tank too cool (75 F) I have both goldfish and tropical in there. Goldfish are not meant to be permanent though, but one's been there for a year and the other a long while lol. My Tropical breed like crazy and i'm glad to have goldfish in there to help eat the babies or I wouldn't have enough space for them. I do have mix tank... with crayfish too.. but now I know not to add betta to the the tank.

I put a couple of tropical in the pond over summer to help with the goldfish fry and now I have 100+ tropical in the pond.... still dont know what to do with them.. getting colder and they still seems happy in there. I thought I put both male in the male turn female! and they haven't been good at eating fry too because I have 10+ new baby goldfish!!!
The worst luck fish I have encountered are oscars as far as killing goes and "glofish" as far as getting killed goes. They seem to have "made" glofish to perfectly get killed by anything with a mild bloodlust which is plenty of fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We rescued as you know a koi stuck in a small 2ft tank with an Oscar in it that had brutalized the poor koi , butat least the koi went on to have 27 years of a happy life before passing of old age .
I dont think the oscar is still alive though not with the owner we rescued the koi from.

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
We rescued as you know a koi stuck in a small 2ft tank with an Oscar in it that had brutalized the poor koi , butat least the koi went on to have 27 years of a happy life before passing of old age .
I dont think the oscar is still alive though not with the owner we rescued the koi from.

Dave
Wow 2 ' sounds like 20 gallons... Even I will know not to do that. Although it is still an aquarium my 75 gallon is pretty roomy so...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow 2 ' sounds like 20 gallons... Even I will know not to do that. Although it is still an aquarium my 75 gallon is pretty roomy so...
Marshall and I call our former 220 imperial gallon fish tank roomy lol

Dave

Ask a Question