trying to avoid mistakes

Reaction score
hey all,

I'm rebuilding my pond, going from 4 X 6 to 20X25. looking to avoid all my previous mistakes(dead koi).

I have had the heron eat most of them, would like to know what depth can keep them at bay. do i avoid the shelves for plants so they cannot stand in the water? i really hate see them eaten.

freeze ups , lost many koi due to harsh winter conditions. bought the floating de-icer, they suck. had two of them take on water, partially sink then blow the circuit breaker. pond froze over. everyone died. bought the green round heater. the water froze around that one. was thinking of an aerator. anyone use these? what brand and size?

thanks for the help in advance. i want to try to make the least amount of mistakes possible. i am almost done with the digging, ordering the liner late this week.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
onemean said:
hey all,

I'm rebuilding my pond, going from 4 X 6 to 20X25. looking to avoid all my previous mistakes(dead koi).

I have had the heron eat most of them, would like to know what depth can keep them at bay. do i avoid the shelves for plants so they cannot stand in the water? i really hate see them eaten.

freeze ups , lost many koi due to harsh winter conditions. bought the floating de-icer, they suck. had two of them take on water, partially sink then blow the circuit breaker. pond froze over. everyone died. bought the green round heater. the water froze around that one. was thinking of an aerator. anyone use these? what brand and size?

thanks for the help in advance. i want to try to make the least amount of mistakes possible. i am almost done with the digging, ordering the liner late this week.

The only way I know to keep the heron from eating them is to cover your pond. When he was here yesterday having his morning snack he just stood on the side of the pond and stuck his head in the water and grabbed a goldie kinda like a kid bobbing for apples. I have used a water heater and an aerator that I purchased and the pond has never completely frozen over can't remember brands off the top of my head could look tomorrow.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
COVER THE POND! If you want your koi to live. Straight down sides will help but the first shelf needs to be a minimum of three foot down or the heron will find a way to stand to catch fish. If you have sides he'll use that and wait outside the pond. Lots of fishing line strung around and over the pond helps, but nothing beats having a cover.

Reaction score
How deep was your old pond? Freezing over shouldnt hurt your Koi if its deep enough, though its a good idea to keep some spot ice free with an air or water pump.

As for the dreaded heron; fishing line over the pond and especially around it where he would stand, seems to work for me. Also create spots where the fish can hide. Covering the pond is no doubt better, but whats the point of having a pond if you cant see your fish?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond here in maryland is 5 feet or so deep, I did not think I had any fish in it, we turned off all for the winter, ice got 8 inches deep, when it melted the fish showed up in the spring.(goldies) Make it at least 4-5 feet deep, deeper is better to help your fish survive the winter.

Reaction score
thanks for the replies, my old pond was 2 feet. this one will be 3 1/2 at its deepest.

i hate to cover the pond as it looks terrible. i will go the fishing line route. he only visits in the fall after the bait fish in the bay have disappeared so i do know when he's coming.

but when he comes he doesn't leave until everyone is gone.also was considering one of those sprinklers(motion activated) or a similar device with a dog barking.

taherrmann4, you've seen the heron eat without getting in the water? if so, no depth will make the difference. my fish are very social and i wonder if they the treat the bird like me, swim right to the top to greet him.

I have a very large pergola over the pond so i am good overhead. had to build that to keep the osprey away. the heron lands in my pool area and walks to the pond. is there a gallery of pictures that i can look at on this forum. again, many thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If it walks to your pond the fishing line might be your best bet with the water sprinkler,
a friend of mine keeps herons away with the sprinkler, says it works well.

Jw in the forum here, has used talk radio and she says it keeps them away from her pond.

Reaction score
onemean said:
thanks for the replies, my old pond was 2 feet. this one will be 3 1/2 at its deepest.

2 feet would be cutting it close, though my neighbour has one like that, and his fish have survived 10 winters now, some pretty harsh. 3 1/2 should be fine, just dont do anything stupid like banging on the ice, creating pressure waves and luring your fish up.

taherrmann4, you've seen the heron eat without getting in the water? if so, no depth will make the difference. my fish are very social and i wonder if they the treat the bird like me, swim right to the top to greet him.

I have a very large pergola over the pond so i am good overhead. had to build that to keep the osprey away. the heron lands in my pool area and walks to the pond. is there a gallery of pictures that i can look at on this forum. again, many thanks

I heard heron eat fish while standing on the dry, even if they usually will wade through the water. But if he walks up to your pond, make him trip with fish line positioned at ~20cm above ground. Just make sure no one else can trip over it.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
onemean said:

i hate to cover the pond as it looks terrible. i will go the fishing line route. he only visits in the fall after the bait fish in the bay have disappeared so i do know when he's coming.

but when he comes he doesn't leave until everyone is gone.also was considering one of those sprinklers(motion activated) or a similar device with a dog barking.

Yep watched him just the other day. My fish are very social as well if I or my dog walk up to the pond they come right up so it makes for easy pickens. I have also stayed away from a cover as I want to enjoy the pond and not look at some pond covered with a net. THe other day when I was picking up fish food the place had these aligator heads about 2' long with big red eyes looked pretty realistic and she told me they are used to keep away the heron she didn't if they worked or not but said that they don't have heron problems.

Reaction score
taherrmann4 said:
Yep watched him just the other day. My fish are very social as well if I or my dog walk up to the pond they come right up so it makes for easy pickens. I have also stayed away from a cover as I want to enjoy the pond and not look at some pond covered with a net. THe other day when I was picking up fish food the place had these aligator heads about 2' long with big red eyes looked pretty realistic and she told me they are used to keep away the heron she didn't if they worked or not but said that they don't have heron problems.

After spending 1000's of $$$ on my ponds, i would probably have to do something to get rid of the heron permanently. Yes, I know I have just let myself wide open for harsh comments, but, my $$$ is to precious to be eaten!
mgeez

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I hate the covers too, but shooting a crane only gets rid of that one. If one comes more will come. I know for a fact I have had two different herons attack. I know cause I know where they are both buried. I had to make covers or accept that I was going to keep replacing fish. Next Pond will be built for Koi in mind only. It will be made as predator proof as possible. When you go back and look that you have replaced over $1000 a year in Koi you learn quick that a removeable cover doesn't look nearly as bad as finding your prized 3 and four year old Koi half eaten or even worse never get to see again at all.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
in most areas herons are exrtremely territorial...at this time of year you will be more likely to see multiple birds in any given area because its mating season and their instinct to mate overpowers their territorial instincts. come late june or july mating season is over and their territorial nature will be more than likely be more prominant. areas with alot of hunting areas support more birds the sparser the hunting the more territorial they are. but theres always a possibility of some overlap to those territories as well.

Reaction score
problem is there's always another bird to replace him and they're are only doing what nature has intended them to do. no malice involved. believe me, i wanted to cry and felt like puking after the slaughter. i just saw some laser type deterrent on u tube. anyone, seen this or tried. thanks for all the help.

so should i ditch the shelves for plants?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
onemean said:
problem is there's always another bird to replace him and they're are only doing what nature has intended them to do. no malice involved. believe me, i wanted to cry and felt like puking after the slaughter. i just saw some laser type deterrent on u tube. anyone, seen this or tried. thanks for all the help.

so should i ditch the shelves for plants?

Think long and hard about it first. Plants might be best in a sperate pond anyway, they need the room to grow up and covers make them look bad. If you have a area above the pond for the plants and straight down sides you eliminate one of the herons ways of attack. If you have a cover for the Koi only then this will protect the koi, allow you the enjoyment of a pond with plants and a pond with fish. I'm trying to do both but really,In one pond and It's not working that well with shelves. Covers don't look great but they do have a pupose.
I haven't seen the laser but I did try the driveway alarm. so far so good I guess. Only been almost a week but so far all my fish are still there.

Ask a Question