trying to balance my pond

zac

Reaction score
My problem is string algae and sludge.
I have a 1200 gallon pond with 6 bass (about 6") and 8 pumpkin seed sunfish (about 4"). The pond is 2' deep. It has a small water fall. The water is run through a filter. I don't know what to call this filter but it is a 40 gallon drum that is full of a plasticy sponge type thing. I also have UV light that I run in the summer. There is also a small patch of lillies in the corner.
What I did during the summer was plant water hyacynth and it did cover most of the pond by about mid July. I also put several water oxygenators in but I forgot what they were called. I pulled the water hyacynth out about a month ago before the first freeze.
I water has always been very clear but I worry about the sludge building up at the bottom. Whenever I think about removing it manually I decide not to because I notice so many insects in there I figure I might be doing more harm than good. I have also removed all the oxegenators because they have been covered by string aglae. The lillies are also getting covered. I put some bacteria in the filter but it didn't seem to help.
Should I put more plants in there? I was well over 50% covered this summer but now there is no cover. I was also thinking about just dropping a bigger bail of barley straw right in the pond becuase the little pads I put in the waterfall didn't seem to do anything. Should I clean out the sludge at the bottom or let the bugs stay?

Thanks
Zac

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you are weird like me, i rescue everything, you could strain the muck and toss the bugs back in..........(have not done that yet!) but it sounds good............lol

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You need to scoop or suck out the muck ..New bugs will come next year !!

Ask a Question