Trying to create a pondless waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have no experience building a pondless waterfall. I want 2 directions for the water to flow into the Aquablocks. I have one area carved out to the right and another carved out to the left for the waterflow.

Will a 5000 GPH pump be enough for this?

Is this a decent pump: https://www.thepondguy.com/product/the-pond-guy-rapidflo-clear-water-pump/?

Should I use a pump vault for this small area? Are there any -decent- cheap pump vaults?

The picture attached is a work in progress. Pondless waterfall.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Welcome! I have no experience with pondless waterfalls - but there are some wonderful videos out there from the pros! I would suggest going to YouTube and going to the channels for Team Aquascape, Atlantis Water Gardens, and others. I haven't had enough coffee just yet to come up with more names! :LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This has a good calculator to help determine pump size. Scroll down to step one and select pondless.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm a bit confused - how would you NOT use a pump vault? Unless you mean just dropping a pump into the lined basin? What would you cover the pump with? I have seen people use aquablox for the pump - drop the pump inside the block and then put the final side on to close up the box. But I'd be a bit concerned about keeping rocks out of the pump space. You could use something as simple as a 5 gallon bucket with a lid drilled full of holes.

You do plan to use EPDM, right? Maybe a dumb question, but we've had people here complaining about leaky waterfalls only to realize they thought they could make water flow over rocks without liner underneath...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ideally, I would leave it next to the Aquablocks. Place pump netting around it, to keep large voilage out. I thought about creating a makeshift vault, but I don't think it would hold up over a long period. I am going to have to spend about $300 on a vault due to the weight of the rocks on top of the vault.

I am using 45 mil EPDM; with pre-pond liner fabric. What do we use to seam two pieces of pond liner together?

I am also looking for a spillway that's able to dispense at least 5000 GPH if anyone has suggestions. So far the 24-inch Aquascape spillway looks to be decent.

I used the pond pump calculator -thanks for the link.
I'll upload another image once I've made some progress.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone used this vault pump? Or can recommend one in the $200 - $350 range.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you ever thought about using a air lift pump?
You could dig a hole in the ground for the long tube.
Just a cheap DIY idea.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Frevis I DO WISH THEY WULD DELETE THAT VIDEO THAT POND WAS DRAINED like a year after that video was made,

There is an other video out there where they make vortex airlift tubes that work much better. But in order to use these with a wetland your area needs to surpass the swim area

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
@Frevis I DO WISH THEY WULD DELETE THAT VIDEO THAT POND WAS DRAINED like a year after that video was made,

There is an other video out there where they make vortex airlift tubes that work much better. But in order to use these with a wetland your area needs to surpass the swim area
It was drained?
So the filter system on it just didnt work well enough?

I will see if I can find the video on the Vortex Airlift Tubes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It was drained?
So the filter system on it just didnt work well enough?

I will see if I can find the video on the Vortex Airlift Tubes
You did find them on the videos above maybe I'm labeling them incorrectly. But yes as far as I know that pond was drained I belive he tried again within that foot print. But he did another that I belive worked better.
There are also air lift ponds that look like a swimming pool with decking all around it but it's actualy a down flow bog filter. They seem to work though I have never seen someone claim they love it after 5 or ten years I just don't know.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the link to the videos.
I read having right angles helps reduce the flow rate of the pump (something I am trying not to do).

Ask a Question