tuck and roll technique

Reaction score
hello all,

putting a pond in this month i am interested in doing what this person did

[ame]

i like it how the grass comes right up to the pond. i was told this is a tuck and roll technique. i checked google but couldnt find any diagrams/ videos etc on how this is done with the liner.

anyone have suggestions. ???

Reaction score
Im not sure how he did it, but Im equally unsure if this is something you really want. Looks like there could be a lot of runoff from the lawn in to the pond. You better plan on ample skimmer and filter capacity if you want it to look like that.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just bought a floating skimmer on ebay. It has a floating base that holds the pump at the surface and then pulls in all the debris to a basket that lifts off. Works well for my pond. It looks like they used something similar.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Vertigo that's what I was thinking............better not ever fertilize that grass near the pond and better make the curves in the pond easy to mow next to and keep the grass clippings from shooting into the pond. Looks nice but thinking all kinds of runoff problems if not careful. If you have a water table problem seems like water could go under liner and float the liner up. Nice place for Mr Heron to stand and fish really easy also :confused:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
What he is looking for is how to install the liner so that the grass can grow up and over the edge along the side of the pond to hide the liner naturally. I've seen this technigue used in Old english style ponds but don't know how they do it. The idea is not to have runoff in the pond but to build a slight raise around the edging for the grass to cover the liner but not allow the water from rain back into the pond. I told him to post here as I hoped maybe some of you in the UK may ahve seen this done more than here in the states.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would think you could have the liner edge come up slightly put a tube under it, mound of dirt etc, bury the edge of the liner straight down into the ground. This way dirt would come right up to the edge of the pond. Sort of like that plastic lawn edging stuff that has the rounded edge.

Reaction score
addy thanks i was thinking of doing this....

lining the pond with the thinest bricks i can find or maybe slate. digging them into the edge, a little deeper then the grass line. and tucking the liner under the brick or slate.

thoughts?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That would work, you would see a brick, slate etc edge maybe just a tiny piece of liner showing, under the grass. For that you will have to be very nice and level to keep the liner from showing in odd places.

Reaction score
addy,

thanks, thats my major concern right now, i dont want the bricks showing or the pond liner, thats why i was thinking more of doing slate. and also maybe propping up rocks up or something to hide the bricks or slate.

any other thoughts?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
humm if you have the liner, then the slate or brick, with dirt on top of it the grass will grow down over the edge hanging into the water. Just make sure the dirt slopes up towards the pond to help with run off.
If you have any issue spots, i.e. hard to hide for what ever reason stick a random rock there. ow you would have the ring of rock look.

Ask a Question