turtle ID

Reaction score
found this tiny turtle in a park near the suburbs of philly and brought him home. I put him near the pond but havent seen him since. any idea what he is? and is he ok for the pond

Attachments

• 20130413_163226.jpg
    20130413_163226.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 20130413_163217.jpg
    20130413_163217.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 208

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, I can say I don't think it's a box turtle. Does it have a red or yellow slash mark on the side of its face? Maybe Fishin4cars will see this and respond. He has more experience with reptiles.

This link has a few good pics, though it might be a little hard to compare since yours is so young.

http://www.indianaturtlecare.com/Common Aquatic turtles.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Looks like an Eastern Painted turtle, a garden pond would be an ideal nursery, well away from ponds where large snapping turtles would snack on him

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Looks like a yellow eared slider or possibly a painted turtle. Kind of hard to tell from the pic. It's not a red eared slider, it doesn't have the circles on the bottom of the shell, it's not a snapper, it's not a mud or musk, and it's not a map turtle. Definitely an aquatic species not a land turtle. Should be fine in most water garden ponds at that size.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
It looks like a painted turtle. The western paints have a more orangeish color to them. Its not a slider. My guess would be a Eastern Paint, but its a aquatic turtle for sure.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Whatever it turns out to be, it's a CUTIE! I have enjoyed my "turtle education!"

As my boxies have grown from hatchlings, they've gradually taken on different skin colorations consistent with sexual dimorphism [see my avatar pic -- that's a male]. And of course the coloration of the shells (top shell, carapace and bottom shell, plastron) has changed with each baby which seems to be a reflection of a mixing of 2 or more EBT groups.

As hatchlings, my babies pretty much all looked alike, and were perfect little camoflauge machines. Their shells bore no resemblance to what an adult EBT turtle would look like. I don't know about water turtles, but would imagine it would be the same. Would love to see what your little guy's shell looks like in a couple of years [if you can get him to stick around]. He certainly has a distinctive and pretty skin patterning.

Ask a Question