Ulcers Under Both Fins on Goldfish?

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Last night when I was feeding the goldfish (aquarium) I noticed there is a bloody, almost open wound under each front fin. I tried to get a pic but it's impossible. He's a pretty big fish and has always looked swollen but he is 6 years old and has always looked that way but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Any help is appreciated, I'd hate to lose him and I've never seen anything like this before.

Reaction score
Kind of hard to beat the info by Dr Johnson.

However, no matter what the problem is I think fish will always benefit from:

1. Improved water quality.

2. A keeper who can test water parameters and understand what they mean and how and/or if something needs adjustment can help fish get over problems on their own.

Only after that should treatment even be considered. Besides, most treatments require steps 1 & 2 anyways. Throwing "cures" at fish is would not be good imo without a fair amount of research and learning. For example, what you're seeing could be several things, but say they are ulcers. Well you could treat those ulcers until the cows come home but unless you fix the cause of the ulcers the outcome may not be good.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Tank quality has not been great, the water is very clear but there is still stuff floating at the bottom and it was what I suspected. I do regular water changes and try to vacuum but its a half moon, very tall 30 gallon tank and I'm not sure the bottom is getting filtered correctly even though the filter we have is for a 60 gallon tank.

I agree with not treating yet also, just don't like to jump straight to meds unless it really seems unavoidable.

Will My pond test kit work for aquariums?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yes your pond kit will work for your aquarium. See what the tests show and go from there.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys! I've restrained from medicating and it looks better. For now I'm just going to keep doing small water changes and invest in a better aquarium vacuum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The first thing about fish keeping you have to get into your head is maintenance , test the waters regulary do a small waterchange every week and make sure the gravel is spotlessly cleaned each month only that way will you be able to keep healty goldfish until you do you will continue to get problems..
Look at it this way if I sealed your house and each month filled it full of ciggerette smoke but no oxygen what would happen to you , well its the same for your goldfish in laymens terms..
You can get large tank cyfons if you look on ebay you can buy older filters.
You can as we did turn it into a vacuum cleaner provided the water goes into the filter at the bottom and returns at the top.
These are the perfect filters to use as you dont have to chase the water as I like to term it, i;e this way you are able to take your time in cleaning the gravel.
My I also suggest looking at our koi/fish health library for a book on fish health reading about things often helps you to go further in the hobby .

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question