Underwater foundation

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Has anyone ever successfully used securely bagged sand or such to provide underwater support for large stones or other features. The big plus is that the bagged material is pliable and will conform to pond side slopes and other irregular liner shapes while the top of the bagged material provides a stable base. I thought about double bagging small bags of sand then using Gorilla tape to firmly secure the outer bags. I also thought about using Flex Seal on the sand bags seams in addition to the additional bagging. Oh, the secondary bags would be shiny black. In my own tests, shiny black does not stand out as much as other colors under water.

Thoughts please.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It will end up smelling and turning green .I used bagged sand at the bottom of my hill until I could keep it from washing away with snow melt and heavy spring rains and when I pulled the bags up it smelled like an open sewer .I gagged from the smell .The bag rotted also and fell apart and I could not leave the sand there to wash into the ditch and clog the ditch pipe

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Why do you feel the need to use bags of anything? I have placed one ton boulders directly on EPDM liner with absolutely no breach of the liner integrity. If you are concerned about punctures, use a double layer of underlayment (unwoven geotextile) as a protective barrier.

Ask a Question