Underway!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
They make windmills for ponds The windmill drives an air pump. HD box store sells them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I haven't forgotten you guys! Just have not had much progress since October. Here is what it looks like today after a ton of Spring rain and some additional grading before the rain came. Thanks to our Township, we are now retaining all the water that falls on our property but outside the pond. We had the Erosion Control guys from the County out to assess it today. We're hoping they can overrule the Town because we are never going to dry out with it being mostly clay back there. They did agree, the water outside the pond is all rain/ground water. On the flip side, we had a duck swimming in the outer water back there over the weekend. LoL. I just would prefer they use the actual pond. I didn't get a picture when I saw it but got one a few weeks ago. He wasn't swimming that day, but I attached that picture anyway.

Attachments

• 20200610_191047.jpg
    20200610_191047.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 20200412_100724.jpg
    20200412_100724.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 95
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks to our Township, we are now retaining all the water that falls on our property but outside the pond
You obviously have as big of a bunch of idiots running your township as everywhere else these days

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd be willing to bet it's like just about everywhere else today people in charge where they have no clue. They told her in order to build her pond because of it's size and the neighbors someone had the idea, that though there is no damn to her pond because it is dug into the ground SOME bright bulb in the town said ok we will allow the build but you have to control ALL the rain and run off from the rain within there property. Now if you live in the Mohave dessert that maybe a possibility but anywhere else it's called ignorance and really BRIGHT idea. Being in the building trades for many years and pulling many a permit i have seen it time and time again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
@BeckyK Hi, I’m just now seeing this. What an awesome pond! But can you explain what is going on with the township? I’m lost.

Sure can! Pretty much what was just mentioned. Last spring we had to apply for conditional use permits to put the pond in. One at the Township level and two at the County level. The County basically said the Town had to make their decision and then they would sign off. Well, thanks to some ornery and uneducated neighbors pitching an argument that our pond would overflow and flood their yard the Town decided we had to put a 12" berm around the pond (makes sense) AND a 12" berm at the perimeter as a precaution even though we tried to tell them that the 2nd one would cause issues when it rained. But the Town wanted to appease the people that were worried about our pond overflowing. That secondary berm is now causing rainwater to flood our yard and our neighbor to our East. He's wet where he never was before because the water naturally flows East to West due to how the land is sloped. And our pond has not yet overflowed. Our Westside neighbor already had a pond when we went through the permit process last year, but he was instructed by the Township to do the same berms anyway. So between the 2 of us, we now are collecting the neighborhood runoff every time it rains. It is also partly because the ornery guy blocked the culvert he and our West neighbor put in together to allow the pond overflow and rain runoff to get to the lake. And since it's mostly clay back there, it's going to be a really long time before we all dry out...if at all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@BeckyK Thank you! That’s not something I’ve ever come across, so the “talk” was foreign to me. How frustrating!
so what you now have outside the pond between the berms is a mosquito factory ways we and no flow. I'd throw water cress and lotus back there . and tell the dumn azz neighbor takes away runn off not adds to it unless some fool insists on creating a perpetually wet skeeter ground. Your pond Is in you won't be made to remove it now you have to prove to them where the correct balance is, not the worried but uneducated concerns.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
The guys that came out from the County were in the Erosion Control department. They confirmed for us that the water outside the pond is groundwater, and that our pond is doing it's job and would only help everyone if it weren't for the perimeter berm. They are sending some people from another department...Water Conservation, Water Management or something like that...to take a look. It seems like they are looking for how they can help us legally. If they can force that ornery guy to open up the culvert he closed off, we can direct the rain runoff there and everyone dries up. Maybe they can force an easement or something.

Ask a Question