First Pond build underway

Reaction score
Hi all,

Here is some pictures of my pond build, the finished size should hold about 1500 gallons of water, I'm going to use a submersible pump, which will feed a biofilter, which will return to the pond via a waterfall. I have allready made plans for a bog filter (but that will wait till next spring now).

The bottom of the pond is stepped,(which I think if I was to do it again, I would do differently), down to 45" at the deepest point.

The pond is finished with render, and a product we use in the building trade to damp proof houses, unlike most damp proofing agents, it is suitable for ponds.

many thanks for looking.

Rory

Attachments

• DSCN2246.JPG
    DSCN2246.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 452
  • DSCN2272.JPG
    DSCN2272.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 431
  • DSCN2276.JPG
    DSCN2276.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 466
  • DSCN2335.JPG
    DSCN2335.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 478
  • DSCN2337.JPG
    DSCN2337.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 465

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great that info will help some of the ones who want to know how to waterproof there natural ponds .I guess it must be better than a liner but what is the cost and what does the container and stuff look like to help them .I sure they will love to hear about it .gret job there wish mine was that nice .Why would you not want the bottom stepped wouldn't that part help you if you had to get in there to clean or even to put deep plantings

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
notice the jack russell (I think )likes it and wow in your garden is that broken slate ,love it

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking great there! that is interesting about the render, have not heard of that being used. That is going to look great when you are done.

Reaction score
Thanks, here is the link for the waterproofing system http://www.sovchem.c...ond_Spec_V2.pdf

I'm not sure about the pricing, as we use it a lot at work, and we had some left over from a job. If that wasn't the case I probablt would have gone for a liner.

The steps might work out well, especially for planting, I just started to think if I had made it 45" throughout it would allow for more volume and therefor more stable water conditions (might just need to make some extensions in the future ;) )

Rory

Reaction score
Yes that is Max(imus), he is a miniture jack russel, The broken slate came off a roofing job, I broke them with a hammer and put them in a cement mixer to soften the edges.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Always nice to have work left overs! The flat areas will be nice for getting into it also. That looks bigger than 1500 gallons to me.

Agree with sissy like the slate.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh no bigger huh never ends :lol: I went to there post and told them you know about a fish safe coating and I'm sure they will appreciate the help you gave them great job and hope you keep posting more valuable info to help others .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well you recycle how great and think I may have saw max before in one of your posts if I'm not mistaken .Great idea about the cement mixer ,I may have to use that idea .I just had a friend drop off a truckload of broken onyx pieces from a countertop fabrication and I think there is some granite and marble mixed in too .I never knew for a little money if you contact some of those countertop fabricators they have broken pieces cheap and all you have to do is ask .geeze :ideacyclops:

Reaction score
Yeah, I like recycling and getting cheap or free stuff, the blocks I used were given to me because they had frost damage on the edges, from last winter.

I have also got a load of leftover natural stone for the outside of the pond, from a building site down the road, so I will post some pics of the stonework soon.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
always interesting to see the kinds of rocks from other countries ,but then I see them and wish I could get them here free is great

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Rory, looks great and will be nice to see more as you get closer and closer to the filling. Always neat to see how others do their ponds and make it all come together. Cute helper pup Max you have there too! I bet he'll be good at chasing off the blue heron.

Reaction score
Progess so far,

The pond is rendered and coated, and I've started the water fall

Attachments

• DSCN2350.JPG
    DSCN2350.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 350
  • DSCN2353.JPG
    DSCN2353.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 404
  • DSCN2354.JPG
    DSCN2354.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 378

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That pond is going to look so good! great job you are doing.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
are you lining this pond with a liner,fiberglass, polyuerea, paint or other? altho pricey, if i could afford it..the polyurea would be my choice!

Ask a Question