Unknown swiming object among my common carp

Reaction score
Country
Peru
I have organized a polarising filter for my camera (my water is not cristal clear yet) and it is the first time I could make a decent picture of it swiming in group with the carp.
Could it be a some other carp species? It was in the group brought from the lake of the neighborhood.
The shape of the head looks different, same as the eye location, the lateral fin further to the front, in comparison with the other companions. In any case, it is very social with the rest of the group.
Would you know what it is for a fish? Just curious :unsure:
Thanks in advance !

Attachments

• peces_030423_07.JPG
    peces_030423_07.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 88
  • peces_030423_08.JPG
    peces_030423_08.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 89
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Are you referring to the orange fish? It look like it could be a koi or a goldfish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How big are they? The head shape looks different than a goldfish to me, and the shape and size match the other fish. Of course the neighborhood lake could have been stocked with goldfish or koi and that is one, or it is a result of crossbreeding of wild and released domestic fish. Or it is a spontaneous orange variant of a wild carp that sometimes occurs and led to goldfish and koi through selective breeding. I am curious to see what they all look like as time passes.

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Are you referring to the orange fish? It look like it could be a koi or a goldfish.
Thanks for your kind comment.
In the meantime I have received info from a friend in Europe. Looks quite accurate, pls read below.

Reaction score
Country
Peru
How big are they? The head shape looks different than a goldfish to me, and the shape and size match the other fish. Of course the neighborhood lake could have been stocked with goldfish or koi and that is one, or it is a result of crossbreeding of wild and released domestic fish. Or it is a spontaneous orange variant of a wild carp that sometimes occurs and led to goldfish and koi through selective breeding. I am curious to see what they all look like as time passes.
Thanks. I have some information about that kind of swiming object :giggle: . Pls read below.

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Yes, as mentioned above, I have received information of a friend in Europe, who happens to know about a koi fish species very similar to that in my pond.
It is apparently the MIZUHO OGON KOI, in natural version.
In this case, as Laaf mentions and as it is in this area almost impossible that somebody put goldfish in the lake, it must have been an spontaneous breeding from mother nature.
Interesting! since it could show us the natural origin of this specie.
All carp in my pond are between 12cm and 25cm. Pretty young. I will register the development of this guy among the group and put more pictures if interesting.
Thanks a lot for your kind comments.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes, as mentioned above, I have received information of a friend in Europe, who happens to know about a koi fish species very similar to that in my pond.
It is apparently the MIZUHO OGON KOI, in natural version.
In this case, as Laaf mentions and as it is in this area almost impossible that somebody put goldfish in the lake, it must have been an spontaneous breeding from mother nature.
Interesting! since it could show us the natural origin of this specie.
All carp in my pond are between 12cm and 25cm. Pretty young. I will register the development of this guy among the group and put more pictures if interesting.
Thanks a lot for your kind comments.
Does it have whiskers (barbels) on the sides of it's face?

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Sofar I couldn't see any.
It is difficult since they all are still very shy, they didn't grow in a pond and are very slowly understanding that it is not a hostile environment, as nature could usually be...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if your asking about the orange colored fish it too is a carp/ koi . koi are nothing but koi that are mutant. it's just a skin variance. we are all human and have many shades.

Reaction score
Country
Peru
if your asking about the orange colored fish it too is a carp/ koi . koi are nothing but koi that are mutant. it's just a skin variance. we are all human and have many shades.
Yes, I would rather say: they are all mutant carp...
Interesting how mother nature permanently shows us so much, endless, diversity :giggle:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
koi are nothing more than mutants that are selectively breed. And boy can they fetch a price tag. don't want to add up what i bought this winter alone and i don't even have them yet.

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Yes! Difficult but finally a portrait :) picture of the "swimming object"
It has barbels ! and is absolut social with the group.

Attachments

• peces_060423_08.JPG
    peces_060423_08.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 34
  • peces_060423_09.JPG
    peces_060423_09.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 34
  • peces_060423_12.JPG
    peces_060423_12.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 33

Ask a Question