7 ducks and unknown amount of water

Reaction score
Country
United States
image.jpg

This “pond” is about 4 ft by 10 ft by about 2 ft deep. I’m not sure what that means for it’s water capacity but right now the only thing filtering it is a 500 gph biofilter from menards. It’s not keeping up as you can see from the picture. What do the expert recommend for this setup? (Yall being the experts)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
There are pond volume calculators. Easy to google. But, with 7 ducks, you’ll want to invest in very good filtration, at least 2x the water volume per hour. Bogs are really good, and would provide a shallow place for ducks to sit, and you could even grow food plants as well as flowers in it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everybody for the advice. It is most appreciated. I guess my next question is what kind of price am I looking at to get the right equipment? And can I simply make the equipment myself since I am handy with tools.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

If you decide to build a bog filter, all you need is a container, liner, some pvc pipes, pea gravel and plants. I filter my 10000 plus pond system with just a bog. Keeps it in great shape. And I have flowering plants filtering the ponds.

Ask a Question