Update on my pond (pictures to come)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I haven't posted, or even browsed the forums, in at least a month, maybe longer. I'm kinda bored and not ready to go to bed, so I figured I'd post a new thread here with pictures to come tomorrow.

Some of you may remember me posting earlier in the summer/spring about my pond. I have a 4'x9' 400 gallon pond. I started it this spring. Very soon after building it, before it cycled, I added 20 feeder comet goldfish. Only six survived until this point, though they are now doing great and none have died since the first couple weeks after adding them. Lesson learned. They were small, only about an inch long or smaller when I added them. They are now about 3" long, with one brown one growing much faster than the others; it is nearly five inches long at this point. I also added two Shubunkin goldfish that are both about 6-7" long. The plant life has gone crazy and I've had to do several major plant cut-backs. The lillies are non-stop blooming and so is even the anacharis. A frog moved in about two to three weeks ago, which I am ecstatic about. It is starting to get comfortable with me being around and doesn't immediately jump into the water any longer.

I built my own filter out of a 19 gallon rubbermaid container and green scouring pads. I made the mistake of routing the inlet vale into the filter through the bottom of the container instead of through the top. Furthermore, I had no provisions for catching the water and rerouting it to the pond if it leaked. I sealed both the inlet and outlet pipes with silicon caulking to the rubbermaid container. About a month ago I came home to find my water level had dropped over a foot throughout the day. I shut off the pump, filled the pond back up and bought a new tupperware container. I removed the filter and saw that my design had indeed failed and it was leaking around the inlet valve. I rebuilt the filter with the same basic design, except that the inlet valve was routed through the lid of the container and the seal around the outlet valves was greatly improved and PVC pipe was used instead of the flexible rubbing tubing. I also moved the pump to a higher location so that if I do have a catastrophic failure I will still have water left in the pond. Lastly, I added additional liner around the filter so that if it did leak, it would reroute the water back into the pond. So far it is working flawlessly.

My water couldn't be more clear. I've taken a full glass of water out and placed it into a glass vessel just to see how clear it really is and it looks like distilled water. I'm very pleased with the function of the filter. I also have some Japanese trapdoor snails that seem to be doing an excellent job of keeping the algae down. The rocks on the waterfall where the snails can't reach are covered in thick algae, but the rocks in the water are nearly devoid of algae. In fact, it's clean almost to a fault. I say this because in the spots where the line is showing, it is still bright and shiny and has no algae on it.

That's about it. I'll try to post pictures/video tomorrow.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well Max it sounds like things are going quite well for you and your pond. Will be looking forward to seeing your pictures tomorrow.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow great job Max, you have done like all of us, followed the learning curve......... opps that didn't work lets try this lol

Looking forward to your pictures and video

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
glad to hear your enjoying the pond. and that it's doing so well. the thing about feeders is they're likely in poor health when you get them. due to the fact they often arent even fed, let alone cared for. they are doomed to be food for preditory fish in someones aquarium. so you saved the lives of the six that made it. and the ones that didnt, probably wouldnt have had long to live anyways.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Here's a quick video of them eating this morning. They usually are a bit more voracious about eating, but I don't think they like the camera hovering just over the surface of the water.

Here are also a few pics I took. The frog picture is blurry and a bit pixelated because I used the digital zoom from far away. I tried to get a better picture more close up, but he jumped in the water.

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

And my dogs, a boxer and olde english bulldogge, decided to hang out around the pond while I snapped pictures..

IMG_1033.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice fish and dogs, your pond looks great there next to that rock wall. Beautiful shubunkin and goldies. Thanks for posting

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lovely place you have there. You've got some nice plant coverage over your pond and pretty fishies. Cute froggy and doggies! I wish my water lettuce looked like yours. Hope you will shoot some more pix for us to see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. I had actually let the pond get a little too covered with plant coverage. It was at probably 90% of the surface area covered. I did a major trim back last week. Those hyacinths and water lettuce are wild how fast they grow.

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Looks great! Envious of the water lettuce and hyacinths. Mine look like crud. I think I need more fish poop. lol

Love the rock wall behind the pond, too. And cute pups.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Stop saying that Max, you are making me jealous, lol!
Looks great! Envious of the water lettuce and hyacinths. Mine look like crud. I think I need more fish poop. lol

Love the rock wall behind the pond, too. And cute pups.

Don't be envious. They're a pain in the butt! I've had to do major thin downs probably four or five times so far this summer. If they sell a slow-growing variety of them, I'll buy that next year

Ask a Question